Fingolfen
Well-known member
First - yeah, I know PCB Guitar Mania has a very mixed record for boards / circuit designs. I have a couple of their pedals that work pretty well (KoT and Electric Mistress), and others that were unmitigated disasters... That being said, he posted this Bulgarian Fuzz board / circuit diagram which looks like it could be an interesting starting point for something...
The demo pretty much had the volume pegged - so it's having trouble getting up to unity and needs modification there. I'm planning on breadboarding it and seeing what I can do with it - but was wondering if anyone else had played around with it at all and had any wisdom / warnings to share. Given it's using "germanium" transistors - I figure there's going to have to be a fair amount of messing around there given gain, on current, and leakage is going to vary widely.
The build docs said "You can use any type of NPN germanium transistor. Another alternative is any silicon transistor with low HfeLM. Experiment and choose according to your taste." So, as with most germanium fuzz, low gain is a must.
The demo pretty much had the volume pegged - so it's having trouble getting up to unity and needs modification there. I'm planning on breadboarding it and seeing what I can do with it - but was wondering if anyone else had played around with it at all and had any wisdom / warnings to share. Given it's using "germanium" transistors - I figure there's going to have to be a fair amount of messing around there given gain, on current, and leakage is going to vary widely.
The build docs said "You can use any type of NPN germanium transistor. Another alternative is any silicon transistor with low HfeLM. Experiment and choose according to your taste." So, as with most germanium fuzz, low gain is a must.