Aquaboy Deluxe Delay

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
"I have many names. My people call me K’uk’ulkan, but my enemies call me Namor." What a Boss. Speaking of Boss, this is the boss of boss, the aquaboy deluxe, what waza craft wishes it would have done for the dm-2w.

The aquaboy deluxe is a reimagined dm-2 with expanded delay time and added modulation. The delay has been expanded from ~300ms to 550-600ms. The longer delay times make the repeats darker and softer. The signature dm-2 tone and percussive repeats are still there though. The optical modulation on the repeats is very versatile, from slow and shallow to deep and fast it's all there. The waveform switch can go from none in the middle, standard triangle wave or extreme square wave. The pedal is also given higher headroom with the addition of a charge pump for 18v and regulated to 15v.

There is also an added tails switch that allows you to switch between true bypass or a buffered style bypass that simply cuts the wet signal prior to the compander and giving you a tails fade out when used. I don't use the tails or care for it and wanted to streamline the bypass switching so it was ommitted in my build. The trimmer for maximum feedback is a nice addition as well for customizing how soon the pedal will oscillate, and the dm-2 spaceship oscillation is the best of any analog delay I have used.

I had one issue during the build, I had a low distortion on the repeats. After audio probing and following the signal path I traced it down to the compander and narrowed it down between 2 capacitors and it was a bum 220n cap. Once that was replaced all was perfect. On larger complex builds like this I didn't follow my own advice if checking each part before populating. Also an important reminder to build an audio probed and learn to read schematics. I calibrated according to the boss service manual.

I went with a matte pink tayda 1590BB2 enclosure with my boy Namor for the artwork. Really happy with how this one turned out and the sound is fantastic and perfect for my playing style and rig. Excellent layout and simple to bias I highly recommend the AQBDLX if you are looking for the DM-2 sound with added versatility.
fr48eD1.jpg
Dp4TjN1.jpg
f1NAPkf.jpeg

Last edited:
Was that the "Tails" switch you left out? I was wondering about leaving mine out too. I'd never use it.
I left out the tails. Also saved me three dollars on a switch.
Also, I only watched the first half of "Wakanda Forever" on my last flight, I don't know how it ends......I'm assuming Namor ne Kulkakan doesn't die....
the boy with no love will return 🥵
That’s so hot, it’s making me sexist.

Interesting mix of 1/4w and 1/8w on this build. Assuming the larger ones are for the power lines.

Honestly, I do my best work then hop onto a build report and have my ego shattered.
I'd have to look at the layout traces but more than likely an 1/4 watt is for power. I'm always saying never to compare one's self with anyone else. I'm only competing with myself and I'm only as good as my last build. Looking forward to seeing your upcoming build reports!

Stellar build as per your norm.

Love the K’uk’ulkan reference as I'm interested in Mayan culture — didn't know there was a Marvel connection 'til now.

I've been avoiding the Aquaboy — thanks for the GAS attack.

Lovely build. Any chance of reposting your guide on no film decals? The old one doesn't exist anymore and I'd like to try it on my next build.

I love me some BBDs especially when someone shoves a couple of them in a pink box!…… and if you think I was being dirty… we see the world as we are not as it is…. You suck puppies.
We don't say it enough, but I love you Rob🥰
Stellar build as per your norm.

Love the K’uk’ulkan reference as I'm interested in Mayan culture — didn't know there was a Marvel connection 'til now.

I've been avoiding the Aquaboy — thanks for the GAS attack.
In the new Black Panther movie wakanda forever they made some amazing choices with namor and his origin story. Good luck avoiding the ⛽
Lovely build. Any chance of reposting your guide on no film decals? The old one doesn't exist anymore and I'd like to try it on my next build.
Thanks, I can do a revised version I suppose. I haven't done one in what feels like forever. Maybe a video demonstration🤷 either way I'm sure something can be done.

Man you got that together quick if the board is from his last restock. Mine is still on the way from Tennessee. Not that I’m checking tracking daily. Looks awesome as always.

I built it in late January but boxed it a week or so later. Then I experimented with various feedback trim pot settings. It's time in the build reports que was up so here we are. Im done posting as soon as I finish stuff, I want to live with it a while and get to know it to give an honest assessment.

Thanks, I can do a revised version I suppose. I haven't done one in what feels like forever. Maybe a video demonstration🤷 either way I'm sure something can be done.

Cheers. I really appreciate that. In @Paradox916 challenge for autism awareness day he said we should look outside of our comfort zone so I want to lay off the envirotex for this build.

Back