Arachnid/FV-1 clock module question

SYLV9ST9R

A question for those of you who might have built this.
I'm considering building an Arachnid with the clock module, with an external potentiometer to replace the trimmer.

My question is, will all this fit in a 125B ?? I realize it might be a tight fit if it does fit, but if anyone has an example, would gladly take a look to give me ideas for placement.

Thanks!

I haven’t done it, but I think you *might* be able to tuck it under the pcb as shown in my pic. Use double-sided foam tape to stick the module board to the box. To keep the height of the module thin enough to fit under the board, don’t use a socket for the chip, and bend the capacitor down where the trimmer would go since you won’t have the trimmer. Again this isn’t guaranteed, so dry fit it.

One more note, consider what you want the clock module for and what other effects it might have. Any pitch shifting will be affected by the clock (for example, shimmer reverb might be harder to find the 1 octave up in tune spot). Not saying it’s a bad idea, just consider if it will have any unintended effects for how you want to use the arachnid.

Attachments

• 881093AE-8AFA-413A-90F1-7D69499BD073.jpeg
    881093AE-8AFA-413A-90F1-7D69499BD073.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 13
I haven’t done it, but I think you *might* be able to tuck it under the pcb as shown in my pic. Use double-sided foam tape to stick the module board to the box. To keep the height of the module thin enough to fit under the board, don’t use a socket for the chip, and bend the capacitor down where the trimmer would go since you won’t have the trimmer. Again this isn’t guaranteed, so dry fit it.

One more note, consider what you want the clock module for and what other effects it might have. Any pitch shifting will be affected by the clock (for example, shimmer reverb might be harder to find the 1 octave up in tune spot). Not saying it’s a bad idea, just consider if it will have any unintended effects for how you want to use the arachnid.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into it to see if it fits.
Yes, I'm aware of the changes the clock creates in other algorithms (I'll be putting mostly delays and reverbs on the eeprom), but as I'm playing weird stuff in my basement, any quirky sounds are welcomed.
I also saw an example where someone had put a switch to choose between the clock module and the internal crystal, might look into this if I choose a bigger enclosure route.

It will fit. I've done this with an Arachnid as well as the FV1 dev PCB. The orange one is the dev board and the pink is the Arachnid. Also added the small toggle switch to the Arachnid for switching between the internal FV1 programs.

IMG_20200731_113239.jpg internalFV1-min.jpg

Last edited:
It will fit. I've done this with an Arachnid as well as the FV1 dev PCB. The orange one is the dev board and the pink is the Arachnid. Also added the small toggle switch to the Arachnid for switching between the internal FV1 programs.

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful!
Going to try to fit all this when the FV-1 are back in stock (and I'll have done a couple more builds in the meantime).
One more question, how do you do the wiring for switching between the internal FV1 programs?

Grounding pin13 of the fv-1 activates the internal patches. You could hook a wire off one of the legs of R5. To take to the toggle sw. Just make sure you get the leg that goes to pin13, not the leg that goes to 3.3v.

It’s possible to have 2 eeproms to switch between, a little tricky, but I can link my build report of that if you’re interested.

Back