Awful Waffle (Crowther HotCake)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Another double dip report day. The Ample Alpaca was technically yesterday's build.

This is another "quickie" build I had lined up and I knocked it out in a couple of sessions during work breaks today.

I also just got my COVID Booster/Flu shot double whammy today and given my history of how I respond to these, I'm probably not going to be doing much
building this weekend (but you never know:) Actually, first time in my life I've ever gotten a flu vaccine. (4th Covid booster though....)

I've been intrigued by this pedal as well, it's been around for a long time it seems and as I understand it, there's quite a few revisions of this pedal.
I'm not sure which version the "Waffle" represents.

Interesting in that it's kinda in the same vein as the Llama that I just built but a much more useful pedal for me personally. I really like how it sounds and it seems to work well with all the different pickups I've tried with it. Totally KILLS with my Strat bridge pickup. Both the ZhangBucker and Lollar neck P90's sound good with it albeit a little woofy with the volume at 10. Back the volume down to about 7 and it's magic. Surprisingly it sounds really great with a bridge Filtertron too.

Reacts very well to riding the guitar volume knob and there's lots of different tones just using that alone.

Also likes being pushed with a booster, whether a pure clean boost like the Katana or a dirty boost like the Katana with the dirt switch on.

It's a fizzy kind of distortion pedal that reminds me a bit like a DOD250 without the clipping diodes.....which it kinda is I guess.

Super simple build, low parts count yet very rewarding outcome!

IMG_3654.JPG

I goofed on the input jack drilling a little bit. Maybe 1.5mm off. With these top jacks on a 1590B there's not a lot of room for error.
But with these GLS mono jacks that I've been using, the fiber wafers extend past the metal collar so you can really crank them up against the enclosure like I did here and not worry about grounding out. The only negative thing I have to say about these GLS jacks is that with the plating they use, the lugs really don't take solder well.
I'm still working on coming up with some prep method that will make them solder more easily. Today I tried some light sanding with some 320grit then dipped them in flux paste. I think I may try a "flux pen". Seems like it would a neater way to apply flux.

The other idea I had, which I may try on my next build, is to flux and pre-heat the lugs first before trying to solder the wires. That would let the flux cook off a bit and not apply as much heat to the wire insulation. Other than that I have yet to find anything wrong with these jacks and at less than 1/2 the cost of a Switchraft, very much worth the effort for me.

IMG_3652.JPG

Awesome build! I love mine as well! I think your right with the katana boost this thing shines. I like dialing off the gain a bit and having that presence knob cranked gives it a sweet sound.

I built a different hot cake board over the summer and haven't gotten around to boxing it. I only verified that it works and didn't even mess with it. Hopefully soon

Lovely.

I'll suggest a dress-nut from BLMS would complement the LED's bezel. Great looking build.

silver-round-dress-nut__20496.1652991007.jpg

To further the bump, I really enjoy a Duo/Simul/Narrowcast at low gain boosting into the Hot Cake just as it's starting to get all fat.

The Hot Cake loses a lot of high end once it gets pushed, but the xCast adds that back in and complements it well.

Thick and creamy. (That's how I like my milk).

To further the bump, I really enjoy a Duo/Simul/Narrowcast at low gain boosting into the Hot Cake just as it's starting to get all fat.

The Hot Cake loses a lot of high end once it gets pushed, but the xCast adds that back in and complements it well.

Thick and creamy. (That's how I like my milk).
I have to admit I haven't spent a lot of time with the Waffle since building it to understand the nuances. Too many other builds crowding it out hahaha. Plan to spend some quality time with it later today. It's sitting here on my desk in front of me.

Ok I definitely see what you're talking about how it loses high end but for me it's at the very top end of the gain range when that happens. Probably why I didn't notice it before, I never run that much gain. I also just was playing around with stacking it with the Chop Shop and was getting some VERY creamy fizzy (in a good way) distortion.

Ok I definitely see what you're talking about how it loses high end but for me it's at the very top end of the gain range when that happens. Probably why I didn't notice it before, I never run that much gain. I also just was playing around with stacking it with the Chop Shop and was getting some VERY creamy fizzy (in a good way) distortion.
🥵🥵🥵

Back