Banana clips?

drgonzo1969

I’m building a new testing rig… I fried my auditorium trying to replace the terminals. So I’m building the JMK testing rig. I’ve seen some guys posting about using banana clips for the audio probe. I looked on tayda and realized I have no idea what i need. Can someone point me in the right direction for banana clips and an audio probe attachment for the testing rig?

Go to any hardware store and get some simple alligator clips (red and black). Use one for the audio probe: one end gets a 100n cap (the other end of the cap is the probe tip), the other end goes to your source audio…

Add some old chopstick, and a bit of electrical tape/shrink tubing, and you’re good to go…

Are you looking for female posts?
Ya. I’m looking for the female posts to put on the enclosure. I have a janky audio probe I made with a capacitor and wire but I was going to try and find something like the probes from my dmm to use as a more professional audio probe.

Ya. I’m looking for the female posts to put on the enclosure. I have a janky audio probe I made with a capacitor and wire but I was going to try and find something like the probes from my dmm to use as a more professional audio probe.
I use these in one of the old clearance small bear 6 hole enclosures.
Eventually I'll get around to mounting make/break switches for the grounds(1 have 6 ports, in,out,power all with + and -)
For bench testing boards, I'll use pogo clamps and male banana to female Dupont .

Edit, they were 3 hole enclosures, I think for their old muff board. But I guess that irrelevant

Last edited:
Ok so tayda has the same 4mm female connectors. Do I just need to cut the end off one of my dmm probes and attach it to a male banana plug and then plug it into the female plug and I’m good to go?

Ok so tayda has the same 4mm female connectors. Do I just need to cut the end off one of my dmm probes and attach it to a male banana plug and then plug it into the female plug and I’m good to go?
DMM probes are banana plugs. They just have a shroud around them. Buy/find some cheap probe and toss a DC blocking cap inline or just put one in your test box. Whatever works for ya. Just block the DC with an inline cap somehow.
Alternatively, use an oscilloscope probe.
You'll need a bnc connector instead of bananas. BUT, if you get one with the ground clip extension, it's shielded by ground. You can ditch the attached ground clip but connect ground opposite the probe. That providees shielding to keep the noise down.will still need to establish ground elsewhere.
On the other side of the coin, you can put a wire in a Bic pencil and use that. Whatever works for you, your setup and habits

Back