Bass Dude, Omnilooper, F-24 Multi-FX

eh là bas ma

Here are a few interesting builds. Nothing went wrong for once, they aren't the easiest builds but with good instructions and a little experience, everything went smoothly.

Let's start with the Omnilooper from Schalltechnik_04 : https://schalltechnik04.de/en/instructions/omnilooper

Best instructions i 've ever seen, and among the most refined project i've ever built. First time i use push-button switches on a build. Almost every solder pads have to be perfect, reflown after cutting the legs as close to the board as possible. Some parts (pushbutton switches, pots, jacks) are covering the solder pads. Every solder joints have to be triple checked and not too protruding.

The faceplate is supplied with the musikding kit. That's quite unusual.

The only slight problem is the DC jack. It's inside the box, so the power plug will short with our enclosure if the edges aren't correctly insulated with tape, or something. Surprisingly, this detail isn't mentioned in the instructions.

This looper has some great features, in my setup it will replace the Pro-cessor from TH Custom Effects. First time i am using some short Y cable for the effect loops, it's working great so far.

IMG_20240502_094404.jpg IMG_20240502_094352.jpg IMG_20240502_100739.jpg

DeadAstronaut F-24 : https://4f3d79f5-cd8b-4c1f-8c04-cc8...d/ff4c6c_c2105abf96de4b0f9fc20cc6c4bf9e4a.pdf

Nothing much to report, no issue with the build process. I am still waiting for some EEPROMs from musikding. Klaus kindly agreed to let me order 2 pre-loaded EEPROM, and only pay the shipment fee from germany. I chose a Module8 and a customized EEPROM.

1 = REV03 spring reverb
2= REV04 Blackface reverb
3= FIL03 filter modulator
4= FIL02 Sample hold filter
5= UNI3 Double take
6= DLY1 Digital delay
7= DLY5 Space delay
8= DLY6 Kaleidoscope

Thanks to the help of some kind fellow forumites, i realized that doing all the EEPROM patch loading myself would take lots of time, efforts and equipment.
I decided it won't be necessary, thanks to Klaus's help i won't have to pay 30 euros shipment fee for 2 EEPROM from PedalPCB in the USA. And designing digital effects wasn't my original project, i just want a great multi-fx.

I did the drilling myself, so it's a bit weird and offset, but not too bad in my opinion.
IMG_20240502_094701.jpg IMG_20240502_094441.jpg

Last one is SushiBox FX BassDude : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOFVWBXvyKkFrIXeGgI1rwyAQJfXY2vQ/view

Thanks to my previous experience with the Black Eye and the detailed instructions, i managed to build this circuit without any issues.

I took the time to play with it, and it sounds really great, i couldn't be happier. Just like the Black Eye, i know that i'm going to use this stompbox a lot. Highly recommended for bass players !

I went to a painting exposition recently and they were giving some free art books from the artist, Joël Lorand. If i try to translate in english, he's a painter from the "Singular movement" or something like that. They say : "les peintres singuliers" here in France.
J. Lorand lives in the same small city as my family, Alençon in normandy. The exposition was really impressive.

I just took a page from the book to use as a faceplate.
IMG_20240502_094428.jpg IMG_20240502_094419.jpg

I am starting to have too much stompboxes... Around 200 builds in my bedroom, i am overwhelmed by all the possibilities. So i will probably slow down a bit. At least until i find some music players to sell or give some of my builds.

Last edited:
I've been quite tempted to build the omnilooper, and interested in these insert style loops - are you making the y-cables for this yourself?
No, i didn't build the Y cables. I just ordered some cheap ones from thomann. This is an amazing looper, probably among the best projects available in this category.

I was greatly impressed by the project itself and the detailed instructions. Schalltechnik_04 is probably among the most brilliant and serious circuit designer in the diy community.

No, i didn't build the Y cables. I just ordered some cheap ones from thomann. This is an amazing looper, probably among the best projects available in this category.

I was greatly impressed by the project itself and the detailed instructions. Schalltechnik_04 is probably among the most brilliant and serious circuit designer in the diy community.
Yeah - I've previously build a Guma drive antique and a Pumpernickel compressor . I've not had the issue of the power jack shorting to the enclosure, but the board-mounted power jack is the only thing I don't like about the Schalltechnik_04 projects.

I'd also thought about either mounting the LED's in my C2CE nobelium to the enclosure or omitting them - is it always-on in the Bassdude or does it turn on and off with the footwsitch?

does it turn on and off with the footwsitch?
Yes, it's an on-off status led. It turns off when the effect is switched off. I had to add a led resistor because the first led i used has been fried the first time i tried the circuit. Same for the Black Eye leds, they are on-off status led, except i didn't need any extra led resistors.

Last edited:
DUDE!

BASS!

LORAND!

😻

Nice trifecta build report.
FV-24 custom EEPROM c'est superb!
Which version of the Pro-Cessor did you have — board-mounted jacks or did you have to offboard wire it?
Omnilooper is Very Cool, loads of GAS that you're contributing to. Will be interesting to see what Robert does with the circuit.

re the 9V jack shorting...
Eh Là Bas Ma & @fmcc — you could always swap out Schalltechnik_04's board-mounted DC-jack for a round offboard-wired one.

Which version of the Pro-Cessor did you have — board-mounted jacks or did you have to offboard wire it?
About the Pro-cessor, I chose board mounted jacks, but i would choose the offboard wiring if i had to do it again. I really struggled to fit everything in the box because of the board mounted jacks. I remember i almost gave up, with drops of sweat running down my forehead. A real nightmare...

The pro-cessor doesn't have a 3PDT switch, that's my main issue with it. Also the Blend knob can be a bit noisy. I changed the pot twice, and i still have some scratching noises and even no sounds at both ends of the rotation. Not always but it happens. Maybe something is wrong with my build, but i couldn't find anything suspicious.
Eh Là Bas Ma & @fmcc — you could always swap out Schalltechnik_04's board-mounted DC-jack for a round offboard-wired one.
Thanks, but it's too late, the DC jack soldering pads are covered by a jack. And i don't think there is enough space to try an other solution. I didn't try it so i might be wrong but i don't think so, and it would probably be at least a bit hard to fit a different DC jack in there anyway. Remember there are big jacks everywhere.

We could more easily put the DC jack on another side of the enclosure. But i always prefer to have my DC jacks on the top side (even if it means shorting the enclosure, damaging some expensive power supply, risk all kinds of issues, including burning the whole building).

And thanks for the kind words !

Last edited:
Nice builds, I have my Omnilooper on the bench or in the corner of the bench still waiting.
Regarding the jack just spray paint the hole. Better than tape.

Everything that is not conductive will do. Clearcoating it would be best if you want to keep the look. Or do it like it should be done with every other electrical appliance and turn the power off before handling power cables ;-)

Back
Top Bottom