Bass Multi Effect Pedalboard

Amazing.

Just curious to know, how much did you invest to build the multiFX and how much do you sell it to your friend ? I ask because I wonder how other builders manage with the selling process whith their friends, rich or poor...
Hey so this was basically a deal where my buddy supplied all the commercial products we picked out and everything else he just gave me money to buy. This is a really good friend I didn’t want to take any money at first but it started to get expensive obviously. I didn’t charge anything for labor and I really would need to study the time it took to do each step and come up with a fair rate.

I’ll just say this. If someone was to come to me wanting this and I was treating it like a normal transaction it would be a lot more expensive Due to labor alone but the pressure would be in me to deliver in a tighter time frame.

I think a good rule to follow is to not make money off your friends whether it be guitar pedals or Cutco Knife sets. My buddy actually bought me a GFI Synesthesia as a thank you so everything works out with stuff like this.

Played a bit more with this last night and good lord I love that Kompormat and the B3K for guitar. Also the Transcendence boost is really crazy how loud it gets and stays clean.

I used the led pads on the relay board in place of Q3 I think? I can’t remember off the top of my head but if you look on the underside of the relay board you will see A and K pads on two of the three pads. Those can be used in lieu of the traditional wiring. I did this because I used many board that weren’t from PedalPCB.

Is that what you were asking?

@ADAOCE Ingenious use of the GGG Dual buffer board. I have one sitting here that I've been staring at for a couple of months. I know there's a project in it somewhere, I just haven't figured out what yet:). I'm thinking what I really need is something like the EQD Swiss Things...I just haven'y quite figured out how to build it yet. The GGG board fits into it somewhere.....

I think all I really need is to have 2 loops that can be independently switched on/off, one buffered, one unbuffered and and separate tuner send.
I'm pretty sure I can do that with the GGG board (probably just the single buffer board) but I haven't figured out the tuner send part.

One of my college money making schemes...(I think they've rooked in many a young person with dreams and visions of making lots of $$$), the only people I sold any knives to were my family...hahah.
I’m pretty sure that was exactly who they wanted you to sell to! I went to the intro meeting and was like yeah I’m not buying the set that I show off to people when going door to door..

@ADAOCE Ingenious use of the GGG Dual buffer board. I have one sitting here that I've been staring at for a couple of months. I know there's a project in it somewhere, I just haven't figured out what yet:). I'm thinking what I really need is something like the EQD Swiss Things...I just haven'y quite figured out how to build it yet. The GGG board fits into it somewhere.....

I think all I really need is to have 2 loops that can be independently switched on/off, one buffered, one unbuffered and and separate tuner send.
I'm pretty sure I can do that with the GGG board (probably just the single buffer board) but I haven't figured out the tuner send part.
Thank you! That board is very versatile I’ve used it on a bunch of different projects. Such a simple circuit.

I’ve been looking at the Swiss things too because my board is big and i hate taking apart I’ve been looking for ways to effectively rout it. I end up making my own little utility boxes for each purpose. The Wetter Box from gig rig looks like a great utility switcher pedal too.

I’m pretty sure that was exactly who they wanted you to sell to! I went to the intro meeting and was like yeah I’m not buying the set that I show off to people when going door to door..
I still have my Cutco sales set. Like @MichaelW, I think I only sold to family and maybe one friend. My wife loves two of the knives outta my sales set and mentioned she actually wants a full set. I just shook my head.

One of my college money making schemes...(I think they've rooked in many a young person with dreams and visions of making lots of $$$), the only people I sold any knives to were my family...hahah.
I had a friend drag me to get a job there in highschool. I got a bad feeling about it and bailed when I realized I was being sold knives not being offered a job. I'm sure my friend is still using their set.

The genesis for this build was actually a combo Unicab and Headphone Amp that I built a while back. I lent it to a friend of mine and we started talking about a nicer version with maybe a few more features that I would make for him. After some back and forth we decided to just make an entire pedal board! He showed me a board that he liked from a bassist that he is a fan of and said he wanted something similar. This is where I got the idea to put all the drive circuits and everything into one box.

Over time I thought it was better to put the POG and the chorus pedal in effects loops that would be switchable from the box as well as a tuner/mute output. Additionally the effects loops are pre and post drive pedals so the box can expand and grow if he wants it to. We also picked out a compressor and a clean boost on the output of the big pedal.

Details for each pedal

I/O Buffer interface
: Guitar Gear Gadgets dual buffer
I whipped this together to provide input and output buffering which it sorely needed with the amount of cabling and wire inside that box. GGG dual buffer is a great little board.

Compressor: Madbean Kompormat

This thing is great in fact I will probably build one for myself I love it so much.

Distortion: Madbean Slow Loris

Great Rat circuit with a Ruetz Mod sweep control and extra clipping options. I took both these MBP pedals after seeing build reports from @thewintersoldier

Overdrive 1 and 2: Aion Maelstrom

This is a Darkglass B3K clone and I have two here. One is built to the stock Aion specs and the other makes all the subs to make it a Vintage Microtubes.

Boost: PedalPCB Transcendence Boost

Crazy loud clean boost. Really really nice

Cab Sim: PedalPCB Unicab

This is such a great little analog cab sim circuit. Sounds excellent for bass.

Headphone Amp and Mixer: Guitar Gear Gadgets

I ended up using a GGG dual buffer pcb to split the bass signal and run each to a mixer pcb that also accepted the L and R aux inputs and sent them to dual headphone amps and on to the headphone output. This is the second time I’ve used these pcbs and the first time doing a stereo setup. A little pricy buying all these boards versus one board to do it all but the results are excellent. I had to get dual pots for the level controls and since they’re weird specs for dual pots I had to use vertical mount pcb pots with splined split shafts (not ideal but worked fine). The little 3PDT switches are from BLMS and they’re excellent. The cab sim can run to the Amp or the Headphone amp. Aux in only goes to HP because I said enough is enough lol

Relay bypass switching: PedalPCB Basic Relay Bypass and Intelligent Relay Bypass

First time using these boards and I love them. The basic boards were great for the effects loops, tuner, comp and boost. The IBR boards are great because of the channel switching mode. My buddy said he would likely only run one drive so he wanted to use them as channels for ease of use when playing live. The switching is really tight on these and they do not bounce or mis trigger. I used the led pads on the transistor holes for the leds which is a nice feature. Can’t recommend these enough.

Enclosure: Hammond Sloped

Love these enclosures! Really nice look and feel to them.

Faceplates: Amplifyfun

Spencer killed it with these faceplates and was great to deal with.

Knobs, switches, jacks etc: BLMS

The aluminum silver knobs add such a nice feel to the pedal and the big boost knob is just cool. Also I used the Pro momentary switches that come pre wired with connectors which makes assembly and replacement a breeze.

Cables and Plugs: Mogami 2319 and Squareplug SP-500

Cost and Time to Build

I honestly can’t even remember how many hours I’ve put into this but let’s just say it took me 5 months and I have a full time job and two kids below three so maybe quicker for some of you ha!

Cost is easy though. Here’s a breakdown of material cost for the whole build

DescriptionPriceQuantityTotal
Rat PCB$9.001$9.00
Compressor PCB$11.001$11.00
Darkglass VMT PCB$12.001$12.00
Darkglass B3K PCB$12.001$12.00
Transcendence Boost$10.001$10.00
Basic Relay Bypass PCB$4.005$20.00
Intelligent Relay Bypass$13.503$40.50
Unicab PCB$10.001$10.00
Headphone Amp PCB$10.002$20.00
Mixer PCB$11.002$22.00
Dual Buffer PCB$8.002$16.00
Enclosure$65.001$65.00
12.5 mm knobs$1.5926$41.34
20 mm knobs$4.691$4.69
NO Momentary Switch (PRO)$3.708$29.60
Enclosed Jack 1/4"$0.9212$11.04
Panel Jack 1/4"$1.751$1.75
DC Jack$0.752$1.50
Flight Case$1891$189.00
break out pedal board$501$50.00
Boss TU-3W$1651$165.00
Bass Clone$791$79.00
Nano POG$2001$200.00
Radial JDI$2491$249.00
Cioks DC7$2291$229.00
Potentiometers$124$14.16
Squareplug SP500$3.847$26.88
Squareplug SPS5$3.9811$43.78
SPDT ON-OFF-ON$0.662$1.32
OPA2134$3.991$3.99
TC1044SPCA$1.691$1.69
LM13700$3.991$3.99
CD4049UBE$0.312$0.62
J201$2.004$8.00
OP07$0.491$0.49
TL072$0.7912$9.48
TL074$0.591$0.59
24 AWG wire$0.1025$2.50
Mogami 2319$0.4910$4.90
Faceplate$60.001$60.00
Pedalboard Total Cost$1,690.81

Thanks to everyone here who followed along on the build thread and offered encouragement and helped me work out some ideas and concepts. Big thanks to @PedalPCB for finding some chips for the intelligent relay boards for me.
My vote for pedal of the year. Truly stunning, inventive, and complicated. Great job.

My vote for pedal of the year. Truly stunning, inventive, and complicated. Great job.
Thank you sir.. if not for that you can submit me for dumbass of the year since I took this pedal on with a newborn after telling my wife I’d slow down the builds. There’s a reason it took so long to finish 🤣🤣

Back