Big Muff - Green Russian

phi1

Fairly straight ahead build of a big muff Using the values for green Russian. I only used the aion pcb because I prefer 1590B with side jacks.

Initially I had planned on using mid knob which the aion pcb accommodates. But, after messing around in the “tsc in the web” calculator for quite a while, I opted to just have a 2 position switch, with stock and a flat mids. For the flat mids, it’s just another 3n9 in parallel with the 3n9 in the tone section. I much prefer the flat mids position.

I socketed several parts (Rs and Cs in tone section, transistors), but soldered them all in eventually.

overall super enjoying this pedal. I’d built a BM a while back (not a Green Russian), but I like this one better.

Attachments

• 8B81928B-6A2C-479B-9493-A0916EEA7AD5.jpeg
    8B81928B-6A2C-479B-9493-A0916EEA7AD5.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 48
  • F6E16667-C613-419E-A022-8A52B22CD600.jpeg
    F6E16667-C613-419E-A022-8A52B22CD600.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 49
If you mainly use the flat mids position why not set the stock position as flat mids and use the switch to boost mids a bit? A mid-boosted big muff can sound amazing. All you would need to do would be switch the "stock" mids cap to 8n2.

Nice idea. I would probably use an ON-OFF-ON in that case, to preserve the stock sound, then a flat setting, and a mid boost setting. I like to mod but often try to keep the stock setting accessible for research/comparison. Like if I read something online comparing a GR to another type of muff, or preferences stacking, I have the stock sound for reference. But yeah a mid boosted setting could be worth checking out.

I'm like that, too, I want the mods, but the ability to go stock, too.

I quite like the Aion on-on-on method — the switch makes sense then.

Up = boosted
Middle = flat
Down = scooped (stock).

Yeah I saw this was there implementation on the newest 125B pcb. Looks like a smart way to go and they put a lot of thought into their mods. If I decide to go back and mod further I’ll experiment with that also

Back