Binaura passes audio without effects

mcluff

[Apologies if this should go in the Spin FV dev forum] Just finished building a Binaura. Using an EEPROM from MAS Effects (per this post).

I'm getting sound output, but vanilla -- no effects at all.

Tracing the signal, it dies at the Spin-FV chip. Signal's going in but it's not coming out. Voltages are correct (3.3V at AVDD, DVDD, and REFP). Could it be a faulty EEPROM?

Thanks!

I think your post is properly posted in this the Troubleshooting forum.

Yes, it "could" be a faulty EEPROM. When no EEPROM is present, and the FV-1 is configured for an external EEPROM, the FV-1 will not pass sound. At least, that's what happens when I pull the EEPROM out of my Binaura. Is your EEPROM programmed with stereo patches? How are the jacks wired? Have you tried both channel inputs?

Can you post some good clear photos of both sides of the PCB and the connections. That may better help us sort things out.

Last edited:
Yeah, I ordered the EEPROM from MasFX with a bunch of their stereo algorithms, though I haven't been able to verify the file that's on there. (I'm also trying to get my new reader to talk to my Mac properly, whee!)

The jacks are wired with 4 mono 1/4" jacks, 2 for each channel.

Each channel's signal goes to the corresponding pin on the FV-1. Neither channel gets an output signal on the corresponding output pins.

Will post pix next -- thank you so much!

Can you show us on the schematic where the signal is good and at what point it fails?

Also, do you have ½ Vcc at VRef and 3.3V at pins 6, 8,13 & 23 of the FV-1?

Binaura_Schematic.png

UPDATE! I tested all the voltages on the FV-1 and the Vcc at VRef values and they all came out correct. But in the process I found a couple of bum solder joints, including one of the crystal's through holes, and one at D1, which if I'm reading the schematic right, is managing power to the EEPROM? Reflowed like a madman and now the pedal works as intended.

THANK YOU for your help with this! This community is amazing.

Now to work out the Mac -> EEPROM business and start building my own algorithms...

Back