Blowin' Smoke (Incredible Machine Distortion)

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Hi Everyone,

So this here's the Incredible Machine Distortion which is based on the Snake Oil Marvelous Engine Distortion. The original pedal im not familiar with and when i did a Youtube search only a few videos popped up showcasing it. Even a search here on the forum didn't turn up much. I didn't have a particular reason as to why i chose to build this circuit, maybe cause i just had never heard of it before.

When it comes to the build its incredibly easy to put together. Very much a beginner level build here. This circuit uses all very common parts and because of that it earns a point from me. No need to source expensive or unusual components here. Looking into the circuit, it uses BAT41s and red LEDs as hard clippers to get your distortion. The result is a unique crunchy distortion. You have your usual VOl and TONE knob no big deal there. Then the GAIN is interesting because it works in tandem with the Voice knob. Which the Voice is like a 2nd gain stage. I wouldn't recommend lowering Voice under noon. The result of said action gives an unsatisfying bass driven OD. Which leads me to my next point, if you build this circuit you'll find that the circuit is overall dark. If you're anything like me your going to find yourself cranking the TONE knob and leaving it there.

All in all its a very fun build. Its a distortion that gets the job done and in certain circumstances i can see it shine. For me lately ive been getting into the Fuzz craze and maybe distortion just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I can see modding this circuit might be the way to go to reduce some of the bass. Ill see if i can get a demo of it up tomorrow since there arent much demos of it out there.

BTW i dropped my enclosure while it was still in its bubble wrapping and it still managed to chip (bottom left corner). Just be careful when handling your enclosures!

Thanks for reading!

- Steve

IMG-1251.jpg

IMG-1253.jpg

IMG-1254.jpg

IMG-1255.jpg

IMG-1256.jpg

IMG-1257.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking build! Extra kudos for the relay bypass. I have been spoiled by relay bypass and soft-touch switches, I'm not sure I can ever go back to the clicky switches.

Great looking build! Extra kudos for the relay bypass. I have been spoiled by relay bypass and soft-touch switches, I'm not sure I can ever go back to the clicky switches.
I completely agree! Using the soft push foot switches with the relay is the way to go! It works so well too. My 250 dollar packrat relay bypass doesn’t work as well as the ones here at the store! I also read that this will last much longer that the standard 3pdt mechanical foot switches.

Looks good! I looked at the schematic and the Voice is more of a presence control, or really first of two tone controls. I think this is Crunchbox clone and one of the versions has similar controls. I expected Voice would be more like a Zen Drive Voice control where you adjust the bass and gain going into the clipping section.

Looks good! I looked at the schematic and the Voice is more of a presence control, or really first of two tone controls. I think this is Crunchbox clone and one of the versions has similar controls. I expected Voice would be more like a Zen Drive Voice control where you adjust the bass and gain going into the clipping section.
After messing around with it this morning I have to agree with you. It much more like a Presence than a 2nd gain stage.

After plugging it into my blues jr it came to life a little more than when I had originally tested it. I used my little orange 20 amp when testing it I really didn’t like what I was hearing. That amp made all the difference.

Nice work! Who knew that oxblood coloured knobs would work on a gold enclosure? ;)

Looking at the schematic it is definitely a mildly modified Crunch Box. If it sounds good it is good. It's good to know where the inspiration for pedals comes from because then you know that if you like it you can try others in that style.

Nice work! Who knew that oxblood coloured knobs would work on a gold enclosure? ;)

Looking at the schematic it is definitely a mildly modified Crunch Box. If it sounds good it is good. It's good to know where the inspiration for pedals comes from because then you know that if you like it you can try others in that style.
Thank you! I have to agree gold with the o blood just makes for a classic pedal.

I need to learn my circuits and their origins a little more. I would love to look at a schematic and tell if it shares some DNA with other circuits. I guess that comes with experience lol

Back