Blue Breaker & Crunch Captain

spi

Another in a series of undecorated pedal builds. This is a Blue Breaker, with 3 components changed to match the earlier versions of the circuit.

So far I'm really liking this. It sounds great in any setting, and has a really nice overdrive tone that suits my taste. One thing I noticed though is that it seems noisier than other pedals I've built, especially when the tone knob is up high. I don't know if this is inherent with this circuit, or if it's an issue with my build.

IMG_20210116_140144094.jpg IMG_20210116_140154735.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I also did the Crunch Captain. I think it's considered an MIAB drive. I also have a Disarray on queue, which is very similar circuit, but with different ICs and a clipping options. I'm curious how much these will be alike (or not). Will report when that is done.

IMG_20201213_165800862_HDR.jpg IMG_20201213_165809312_HDR.jpg

Oops, I just realized I already posted a build report for that Crunch Captain. Sorry for the repeat.

That's kind of what I was expecting, but I've seen 100pf for C2 as well. Do you find it lacking gain compared to one with the other resistors, if you've used one of those as well?

I haven't tried any other combo (but there isn't much gain, so it sounds possible). I also found a lot of conflicting info about which components, but eventually found an official looking Marshall schematic, so I went by that.
bluesbreaker.jpg

Last edited:
Back