boogie monster - less gain?

maertz13

howdy

just built up the boogie monster running at 18v, biased all nice, and it sounds great for the heavy rock and metal stuff. all the rectum frier tones i could ever want. but even at A1M, seemingly the most subtle of all pot tapers, the gain knob is like a switch. almost no sound to BAM as much gain as you'd ever need, and then way too much after that. hoping to be able to get to some of those mid gain blink 182 recto tones. on tom's amp the gain was at 3. the pedal certainly doesn't correspond 1:1 with a 2000 dollar head :p

i tweaked the bias a tiny bit and was able to get a LITTLE more headroom out of the gain control, but after too much it starts to sound a little funky. rectos are normally biased pretty cold, so it helps to follow suit on the jfets, but you can only go so far, yaknow?

is there any spot in there where i might be able to tweak some resistor values to pull the gain down without affecting the character TOO much?

1719943402564.png

When I built my Dr. Boogey YEARS ago, I replaced the 1M gain pot with 500KA.
Also, if you're using all J201s, try using all 2N5457s. Maybe use MPF102s for Q1 and maybe Q2.

I rarely use J201s anymore since they seem to have more output/gain than the other JFETs I mentioned. I'm not trying to turn everything into a flamethrower.

When I built my Dr. Boogey YEARS ago, I replaced the 1M gain pot with 500KA.
Also, if you're using all J201s, try using all 2N5457s. Maybe use MPF102s for Q1 and maybe Q2.

I rarely use J201s anymore since they seem to have more output/gain than the other JFETs I mentioned. I'm not trying to turn everything into a flamethrower.
swapped out Q1 and Q2 with 5457's an biased everything to 10v (at 18v input) and got some pretty solid results. the low gain section of the pot is still tiny, but it at least exists now. might try the rest as an experiment later

swapped out Q1 and Q2 with 5457's an biased everything to 10v (at 18v input) and got some pretty solid results. the low gain section of the pot is still tiny, but it at least exists now. might try the rest as an experiment later
the 500K gain pot might be worth trying.
if you wanna try this real quick without actually taking the pot out, just put a 1M resistor across lugs 1 to 3 of the 1M pot

Back