Box 66

Coda

For most of my guitar playing career, I have always loved the Italian made 1966 Vox ToneBender. I only realized that recently, however. Robby Krieger's fuzz tones are some of my favorite fuzz tones ever. I always assumed what I read was true: that he played a Maestro, a MK II ToneBender when in Europe in 68, and just the amp for OD. In reality, he played a Vox ToneBender (both the 66 black on grey version, and the 67-68 grey on black version).

B7AF1A5D-5442-4F27-9EC3-68A76B7EA08D.jpeg
1AB83A79-F174-400B-BBBD-A99BF8D74E15.jpeg

I ended up using a pair of 2n1303 (75 hfe/ 180 hfe). Sounds good. Plenty of sustain, a bit of buzz...a great 60's sound. It cleans up decently too with the guitar volume knob. A few critiques: it really only sounds best with volume and attack maxed. With the volume rolled back, its a bit muffled. Also, as seen in other threads, the toggle doesn't do too much. There is definitely a difference, but its subtle. I'm not sure if this is by design or what. I like it. The artwork is a bit of an homage to the original enclosure shape.

With the attack dimed, where are you seeing unity volume? Mine is around 2-3.

About the same. And that’s a bit of an issue, since it sounds best with volume dimed too…

Back