Breadboard Recommendations

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Wondering what kind of breadboards you guys use. Is bigger, better for some of the more complex circuits? What's a good way to swap out potentiometers to experiment with? I know shoving the PCB lungs into the board will damage it over time.

you can solder some 3-gang terminal blocks and a pin header onto stripboard and screw the pots into the blocks. The pin headers will use jumper wires to the BB.

I'd go with a 6 pot setup. The terminal block makes it easy to swap out different pots. I'll work one up if I have the right size blocks.

Last edited:
It's not soldered, but you get the idea. I offset the rows but you can cut track as well.

WhiUJcA.jpg

I'll size it down, solder it, put some standoffs in it, and it will be ready to go.

Terminal blocks are at Tayda EK500A SKU A-671.

Last edited:
I just solder clipped resistor legs onto the pot legs I wanna use and stick em in the breadboard. Easy to remove if I wanna use those pots later on a pcb. And you can always link together breadboard boards with jumpers if you need more space

I grabbed a few tie plates at the hardware store, bent them and drill the holes out to fit pots, jacks, power etc. I have two big boards screwed to a piece of 1x12.

View attachment 13918
Looks good.

If you cut slots into the top holes, components slide in/out easily and you don't have to fully unscrew the pot/jack/whatever.
Jacks generally don't get swapped out much (unless you're testing out different jacks), but it's sure handy for comparing pots. Ex taper shootout C50k vs B50k vs A100k...

I've mounted pots both ways: terminal block and metal panel. The advantage of the terminal block is change-out is very easy. The advantage of the panel mount is the pot body can be grounded to the circuit. This is important in high-gain circuits and will significantly reduce hum and oscillations. Pots get changed infrequently during a given breadboarding campaign, so for me the panel mount wins out over the terminal strip.

• Love
Reactions: fig
The more I think about it, I can just solder some solid core wire to the pot and those are my jumpers for the breadboard? Is there a solderless way to connect these solder lug pots to a breadboard?

Back