British Royalty issue LED turns on but no engaged signal

I'm circling back to a couple of builds I've had issues with. Here are a couple of pics of my British Royalty OD build. I get a clean signal and then when engaged the LED turns on but no signal. I just ordered a Rattlesnake audio probe. I have no experience with one but I'll give it a shot. Maybe I've overlooked some component placement issues or... Just no clue. Anyone have any thoughts? Thx

Attachments

• IMG_9168.jpg
    IMG_9168.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9167.jpg
    IMG_9167.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 9
As usual when you have bypass but no signal, it's probably wiring.

Looks like your signal-in jack [on the left in the first pic] is cross-wired. Tip is going to ground, and ground to in. I've made the mistake waaaay too many times. The nice thing about those box jacks is that it's easy to remember that the flat corner is ground.

[edit: actually, I'm not sure why you would be getting bypass if that's the case, so maybe I'm incorrect. [[Edit edit: ah, it looks like TRS jacks and an optical illusion, sorry]]

Also keep in mind that the status LED is completely separate from the signal and effect. It just basically shows if you have power in.

Last edited:
So, I tested my FETs and they are all in range. But, I'm not getting any voltage readings on them. I've certainly biased pedals before so I don't think it's a lame user error. LED is still showing power. I hit all the solder points again. Also including another pic that gives a better view of the jacks. I don't see any hot/ground issues there.

I don't know how to test the transformer. I wonder if there could be an issue there. I have an extra on hand. Can anyone tell me how to measure it?

Thanks for all the input guys. Still open to suggestions and meanwhileI'll keep at it.

Attachments

• IMG_9171.jpg
    IMG_9171.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 5
If you have no voltage on your fets, check D100 and R100
Those and your trim pots are the only things between the fets and DC in.
Ok just replaced both R100 and D100. Still no luck.

I'll be getting that audio probe first of the week. I'm sure it's fairly intuitive but has anybody posted a tutorial on using one?

Thanks for the input (y)

Back