Building an M800 (PAL800).. should I do any changes to improve it?

Yes, if you have a DMM and a 9V power source. If you're going to buy transistors on eBay, then being able to test them is an essential skill.

PF5102 should work in this pedal, you can get them from Small Bear, they will cost less than the crap on eBay and will be the real deal. For maximum gain, you want ones with a low Vp for everything except Q4. Q4 can have any Vp that's in spec.
Sorry for bumping this thread but a fellow member recommended me to ask you, I got some generic J201s from Small bear, they don’t seem to be on spec, do you recommend me getting the PF5102 from the same seller? Do they highly differ on tone?

Can you be a little more specific, what about the "generic J201s" are out of spec? Which pedal are you building, the M800?

I recommend that you read this if you haven't already, it might answer your questions. Subbing JFETs might alter the tone, depends on the circuit and how you dial-in the bias.

Last edited:
Can you be a little more specific, what about the "generic J201s" are out of spec? Which pedal are you building, the M800?

I recommend that you read this if you haven't already, it might answer your questions. Subbing JFETs might alter the tone, depends on the circuit and how you dial-in the bias.
Sorry, didn’t get a notification. Small bear sold them as “generic j201”, which scares me a lot. I swapped a horribly out of spec for a pf5102, I now have “noise”.

Back