Byzantium parts list

I'm working on the parts lists for the Byzantium and ElectroVibe Mini today, will hopefully post them both later this afternoon.

The most important thing is to ensure your capacitors (electrolytic and film box) are 7mm height or shorter. I'll list the part numbers I used for the prototypes.
I used to bullseye wamprats back home. They’re not that much bigger than 7mm. 🤪

So the BBD pcb goes to the top of the Audio pcb So you can bias the pedal

The BBD module goes on the bottom, the pots are mounted on this board. There are labeled access holes in the audio module so you can reach the bias trim pots from the top.

As far as the pinheaders are concerned, it doesn't matter which board gets the male / female headers as long as they mate up. I generally put the female headers on the component side of the lower module and the male headers on the back side of the upper module, but the choice is yours.

Reactions: fig
I bought some 7mm caps from Australia but they are 20% maybe no good may need to lay my 11mm caps on the side, here are instructions from elsewhere
Set depth and manual pots to min. and set clock trim to 40khz:
Connect to guitar and amp set resonance to max- adjust res trim to where it starts to oscillate, set ''bias''for clean no distortion hope this is right , I have no O. scope Thanks PedalPCB for replying to the pedal order would''ve put audio on the bottom

The stacking order of the boards would have been obvious once you installed the pots. Since this might be your first PedalPCB build, make sure you install the pots correctly (see below). Some folks get it backwards the first time.

You can get by without an oscilloscope.

If you have a DMM that measures frequency you can use that, or you can just adjust the clock by ear. (which is what I do, despite having a DMM and a scope) I set Depth and Manual to minimum, turn the clock all the way down and then gradually increase until it doesn't sound "robotic".

There are cool sounds outside the range of the Boss service notes, so just go for what sounds good to you.

This is not the Byzantium PCB but the pots are installed the same, just for reference.
16mmPotentiometerInstallation.jpg

I had posted before I received the PCBs !!! and can see what you mean now ,for TP1 I may solder a wire with an alligator clip to it -connected to the multi meter that and one to a ground point that way I can bias by just looking at the meter, the right angle pots should work though I like the jacks on the side not top will see if that will work ,may just use wire for the switch rather than pins, I''ll see so far as all going well wont change C103 to 47uf unless I have to ,also I have plenty of height around 32mm the 125b is 38 laid some cap on their side ,so height is no issue ,made a mistake not looking at one of the transistors is PNP fixed now with a BC556. I used ceramic for the pf caps hope that is ok madbean points out what cap needs to be wima or mlc

Can you explain the trim pot adjustment in more detail? I followed your instructions for the clock, and I have to turn it all the way up to get rid of what I assume you’re referring to as the robotic sound. But how do I set the bias? Do I set bias first and then the clock? Where should my external pots be when setting bias, and what exactly am I looking for? Also, I don’t have a scope but my DMM does freq, so what freq am I looking for on the test point? Thanks for what you do here, I really enjoyed the challenge of this build but the effect is much milder than I would expect from a BF-2.

The stacking order of the boards would have been obvious once you installed the pots. Since this might be your first PedalPCB build, make sure you install the pots correctly (see below). Some folks get it backwards the first time.

If you have a DMM that measures frequency you can use that, or you can just adjust the clock by ear. (which is what I do, despite having a DMM and a scope) I set Depth and Manual to minimum, turn the clock all the way down and then gradually increase until it doesn't sound "robotic".

There are cool sounds outside the range of the Boss service notes, so just go for what sounds good to you.

This is not the Byzantium PCB but the pots are installed the same, just for reference.
Ive built about 4 pedal pcb pedals no twin pcb though ,finished the pedal now sounds great ,C103 needs to be 47uf otherwise the the clock keeps fluctuating , res is set to a civil setting nothing crazy ,clock 39khz may play around with that .

Can you explain the trim pot adjustment in more detail? I followed your instructions for the clock, and I have to turn it all the way up to get rid of what I assume you’re referring to as the robotic sound. But how do I set the bias? Do I set bias first and then the clock? Where should my external pots be when setting bias, and what exactly am I looking for? Also, I don’t have a scope but my DMM does freq, so what freq am I looking for on the test point? Thanks for what you do here, I really enjoyed the challenge of this build but the effect is much milder than I would expect from a BF-2.
For clock frequency, set manual and depth knobs to minimum. Probe tp-1 with oscilloscope or multimeter. Adjust clock trimmer to 40khz.

For bias, set depth and resonance to minimum. Input a 200 hz 0dm sine wave. Adjust bias for distortion free sound. You could also do this by ear with your guitar. Adjust your bias for the best distortion free sound.

For resonance set your manual and depth knobs to minimum. Max out your res knob. Plug your pedal output into an amp. Short your input on your pedal. Adjust res trimmer to where pedal just starts to self oscillate or you could just adjust to your liking. This trimmer basically sets the max resonance on your resonance knob.

Once you have set the clock to 40khz ,you can adjust it by ear latter to how you like it, plug into amp for the Res turn down your amp volume then set resonance pot to max adjust trimmer till it just starts to oscillate if the trimmer is set to max it can be loud now you can turn the amp vol up, for the Bias set trimmer for clean modulation CCW youll get distortion CC again distortion ,around the middle ,

I have set the enhance trimmer on the Flintlock flanger by lectric -fx to a point where it could damage my speaker it gets very loud the Res trimmer here is not as bad or loud

I want to add the flanger into an enclosure with an overdrive ,Phaser ,and analog delay where do I connect the wire from the other pedals 1-9 on the switch or A-F on the header pins will the in and output jacks be redundant it will be a multi fx unit ,all analog

I want to add the flanger into an enclosure with an overdrive ,Phaser ,and analog delay where do I connect the wire from the other pedals 1-9 on the switch or A-F on the header pins will the in and output jacks be redundant it will be a multi fx unit ,all analog
You want one switch to engage them all at once, or you still want to turn the individual FX on and off?

I’d start a separate thread for this in General Questions

For clock frequency, set manual and depth knobs to minimum. Probe tp-1 with oscilloscope or multimeter. Adjust clock trimmer to 40khz.

For bias, set depth and resonance to minimum. Input a 200 hz 0dm sine wave. Adjust bias for distortion free sound. You could also do this by ear with your guitar. Adjust your bias for the best distortion free sound.

For resonance set your manual and depth knobs to minimum. Max out your res knob. Plug your pedal output into an amp. Short your input on your pedal. Adjust res trimmer to where pedal just starts to self oscillate or you could just adjust to your liking. This trimmer basically sets the max resonance on your resonance knob.
Could you explain what it means to “Short your input on your pedal.”? Thanks!

Back