SOLVED Caesar No Power

IPv6Freely

The nice thing about pedals with a rate indicator LED is you know immediately if they are getting power. Mine isn't.

I feel like a power issue is likely to be wiring, but I'm not seeing anything that is incorrectly wired. Warning: newb assembly quality photos ahead!

VOIv2ZS.jpg

Last edited:
It may be correctly wired, but if there's a cold solder joint...

Check with your DMM if you're getting power to D100 (1N5817);
if not, then reflow the solder at the power jack and wires at the board.
(I like to solder my wires in the same way as the pots, that way I can visually inspect the solder joints of the wires with the PCB in the enclosure).

Then check to see if you're getting any power after D100, it looks like maybe you've got a cold solder joint on the stripey side...

Yeah, I'd just reflow all the initial power points — jack, wires to PCB, 1N5817. Since there's no schematic yet, I'd continue following the trail of power with my DMM.

Thank you! So I ended up pulling it all out of the enclosure, and lo and behold... power. Maybe I had some wires touching - I don't know.

Then I noticed "that" electronics smell, and also noticed the board getting quite warm around IC2. Uhhh... I had the 4558 in upside down. Fixed that, and put it all back into the enclosure. Tried the pedal out.... no sound. I know about the other threads saying to adjust the trimpot, but it seemed at no setting was there sound coming out. Turned all the way counter-clockwise there was some "popping" noise coming from the amp a bit, but thats it.

I suppose back to the drawing board, I guess it can't hurt to reflow anything that doesn't look perfect. Maybe replace IC2 in case I fried the first one as well?

Thank you! So I ended up pulling it all out of the enclosure, and lo and behold... power. Maybe I had some wires touching - I don't know.

Then I noticed "that" electronics smell, and also noticed the board getting quite warm around IC2. Uhhh... I had the 4558 in upside down. Fixed that, and put it all back into the enclosure. Tried the pedal out.... no sound. I know about the other threads saying to adjust the trimpot, but it seemed at no setting was there sound coming out. Turned all the way counter-clockwise there was some "popping" noise coming from the amp a bit, but thats it.

I suppose back to the drawing board, I guess it can't hurt to reflow anything that doesn't look perfect. Maybe replace IC2 in case I fried the first one as well?
I checked the trio of ICs at the north end of your board, but then skipped IC2 at the south end — even though it was staring at me through the yellow wire... 😼

I haven't had much luck helping troubleshoot other people's build lately, I should leave it to the pros, but...

I've learned so much, vicariously!

Congrats on getting it working.

Back