Can a pedal blow my power supply?

SlowPony

Hi, I'm new to all this and I was wondering if its possible to fry my voodoo lab power supply with a pedal? My power supply stopped working and I'm wondering if it could be from a pedal that i built. I built a rat and it's the only new pedal on my board and it's been working fine. The pedal still works so i'm confused at what would cause the power supply to stop working. I just want to know before i go and buy a new power supply and plug in the pedals I have. The VoodooLab PP2+ is past the warranty of 5 years too.

Hi, I'm new to all this and I was wondering if its possible to fry my voodoo lab power supply with a pedal? My power supply stopped working and I'm wondering if it could be from a pedal that i built. I built a rat and it's the only new pedal on my board and it's been working fine. The pedal still works so i'm confused at what would cause the power supply to stop working. I just want to know before i go and buy a new power supply and plug in the pedals I have. The VoodooLab PP2+ is past the warranty of 5 years too.
May not have been the pedal but the number of pedals? How much power is this new one drawing?’other pedals? Rating of the supply?
How old is the supply?

Since the pedal is working, it seems safe to assume it wasn’t the pedal. A pedal that completely shorts at the power input (which wouldn’t work) might blow the supply. I had the PP2, and it was solid. I don’t remember if there was a fuse on it or not—if there is, I’d check that.

Is the supply completely dead? Can you measure any voltage output on any of the ports? With troubleshooting, in general, it’s good to isolate what you’re testing from everything else—when you measure the output, unplug everything from it. Maybe one of you power lines is shorting?

These units have self terminating power if something is shorted. Try disconnecting all the connections, then power it on, then stick a cable in and see if it has power.

I had a friend "help" me by plugging in a cable that would double the voltage to 18v and everything stopped working. I thought he had fried my entire $1200 worth of pedals for a week till I tried the above and everything worked again. It was a very depressing week, had I simply tried a bit harder when I was diagnosing......... sigh.

And then my cat Newbie pee'd it and then it was really dead. Smelly too.

I use a home brew power supply made with 18650 battery sleds, and some DC to DC converters with adjustable voltage regulators. 9v stays 9v no matter what the input range of about 12v to 16v. 16 ports, 4A continuous!

These units have self terminating power if something is shorted. Try disconnecting all the connections, then power it on, then stick a cable in and see if it has power.

I had a friend "help" me by plugging in a cable that would double the voltage to 18v and everything stopped working. I thought he had fried my entire $1200 worth of pedals for a week till I tried the above and everything worked again. It was a very depressing week, had I simply tried a bit harder when I was diagnosing......... sigh.

And then my cat Newbie pee'd it and then it was really dead. Smelly too.

I use a home brew power supply made with 18650 battery sleds, and some DC to DC converters with adjustable voltage regulators. 9v stays 9v no matter what the input range of about 12v to 16v. 16 ports, 4A continuous!
Hmm 18650 power. Need to know more! I have a TON of these left over from when I quit smoking 12 years ago- I started vaping as a way to cut out the nicotine, and then eventually quit that after a few years… now I have a handful of 18650s that don’t get used.

Hmm 18650 power. Need to know more! I have a TON of these left over from when I quit smoking 12 years ago- I started vaping as a way to cut out the nicotine, and then eventually quit that after a few years… now I have a handful of 18650s that don’t get used.
My first attempt with 16 batteries in four sleds was huge overkill. About 14.8v to 16v with full charge, it runs for months without having to recharge, and it's HUUUUGGGGGEEE and heavy. I'm still using it but plan to make a smaller version with 8 ports and 8 batteries.

The MP1584EN runs at mhz speed and there is virtually no noise. Quieter than my Voodoo used to be. The toroidal transformer is still good so I could have used that but batteries = no cord.

I used diodes just to be sure one pedal couldn't feedback into another.

If you click on the image preview it'll take you to postimage.org where you can download a full resolution version at 240 x 240 pixels per inch. I was all ready to start on this when I realized I forgot to take the bulge in the enclosure where it's threaded for screws into account and that I had to modify everything. Doh.

Last edited:
My first attempt with 16 batteries in four sleds was huge overkill. About 14.8v to 16v with full charge, it runs for months without having to recharge, and it's HUUUUGGGGGEEE and heavy. I'm still using it but plan to make a smaller version with 8 ports and 8 batteries.

The MP1584EN runs at mhz speed and there is virtually no noise. Quieter than my Voodoo used to be. The toroidal transformer is still good so I could have used that but batteries = no cord.

I used diodes just to be one pedal couldn't feedback into another.

If you click on the image preview it'll take you to postimage.org where you can download a full resolution version at 240 x 240 pixels per inch. I was all ready to start on this when I realized I forgot to take the bulge in the enclosure where it's threaded for screws into account and that I had to modify everything. Doh.

Very nice! I couldn’t tell, but does the power controller have built in undervoltage cutout? I know 18650 hate being discharged below a certain point Of course if it runs for weeks I could think to charge once a week or so. Just curious

It might be past the warranty but Voodoo will still fix it. I had a 2018 pedal power plus 2 that went dead a few months ago. I emailed them about it, sent it in and they fixed it free of charge. I just paid shipping.

Very nice! I couldn’t tell, but does the power controller have built in undervoltage cutout? I know 18650 hate being discharged below a certain point Of course if it runs for weeks I could think to charge once a week or so. Just curious
Yup! The datasheet link I posted has the specs.

My charger has an internal resistance megaohm tester, and I test each battery after charging. No unusual degradation in these batteries. New range is 65 to 80, death and possible spontaneous combustion is at 255. I retire them at 180. Most of the ones I've had to dispose of were from a bad batch from a dishonest seller.

Back