Cap-less audio path?

Should chuck "Six" in the Wish List, and if it winds up on the PedalPCB roster then I might actually try the "Booster-Overdrive-Distortion" out, once I see the schematic — no caps means it'll be GREAT on bass, right? Needs a good name though...

"Half Dozen of the Other" ?

Perhaps a portmanteau? "Boovertion"...

Last edited:
Oh yeah, they're big shots!! Lol.
For a challenge, try designing a vacuum tube preamp or amp without coupling caps. It has been done before... Oh yeah, an interstage transformer can't be used either! Lol!

But seriously, DC coupling is by far superior to cap coupling in audio circuits but if something goes wrong, a whole bunch of stuff usually gets taken out.
Everything has pros and cons....

Sounds like a Bluesbreaker variant. The high-pass corner frequencies on the 3 coupling caps are low enough that you won't notice they're gone. With a split power supply from the charge pump, you just jumper those 3 caps. The clipping options are the feedback (OD) and hard clipping (distortion) diodes.

Danfrank brought up a good point, which is the downside of operating it like that makes it vulnerable if something next to it in the chain is leaking DC.

Should chuck "Six" in the Wish List, and if it winds up on the PedalPCB roster then I might actually try the "Booster-Overdrive-Distortion" out, once I see the schematic — no caps means it'll be GREAT on bass, right? Needs a good name though...

"Half Dozen of the Other" ?

Perhaps a portmanteau? "Boovertion"...
Whoops! Thought I was working on my doc before posting, turns out I already posted it and was editing — my edit wiped out the original naming attempts etc. Don't know how to undelete it, reverse my edit — Sorry.

Good points on the cons of capless...

Thanks for enlightening, Gents. I just haven't seen it in a stompbox or tubeamp design as such so far, so was a bit lost there.
Important point there about the safety aspect of coupling caps I guess.

Back