Celestial Drive Take 1, 2 and 3 (DMB Stellar Drive)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well it took a few tries to finally have a working Celestial Drive.

Just buttoned this up this morning.

Take 1: was a fail - Was documented in this thread that it was a board manufacturing defect. (I learned what a "spoke" was in this thread:))

@Robert was kind enough to refund my entire order and I just got the replacement board yesterday. Thanks dude!!

Take 2: Was another fail, but it looked so cool I had to document it here 😄.
I decided to be clever and try to make it into a 4 knob Stellar Drive. The later 4 knob versions had a clean blend knob which I think is very useful for this pedal especially for using with hum buckers. In order to accomplish this, I used a GuitarPCB Buff and Blend board. Because I was trying to get it to fit into a 1590B I had to build the blend board upside down. It was a lovely bit of trick building.

Except.......it didn't work heh. The clean side was fine, the circuit output was super low and I could barely hear the drive. After futzing around with it for a while I think the problem was phase cancellation, which is documented phenomenon in the Blender board docs. There wasn't enough room to insert yet another circuit to reverse the phase of the Celestial so I decided to punt, and just re-house the pedal in a 3 knob format.

But it did look pretty cool!

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3544.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

Take 3: Here it is without the Buff and Blend Board, in a 3 knob format and works great! Kind of interesting drive. I know these were the darling of the latest greatest low gain drive crowd for a hot minute. I think it's a not very transparent, dark-ish drive that REALLY COULD benefit from the "clean blend" option of the later 4 knob versions. Too bad I couldn't make my hack work. I'd need to house it in a 1590BB to make it all work.

As is, I think it works better for single coils than hum buckers. I like it a lot on my Strat. Not so much on my PRS or P90 guitars.

IMG_3549.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

One of my favorite drives. Works well with volume and stacked with a boost in front it can do low gain, Pink Floyd “Time” rhythms and boost it for the fuzzy solo. It can be dark but it’s articulate on the attack…especially when boosted with a klon, Cot50 or tube boost up front.

@MichaelW We clearly have similar tastes in boost and dirt because every pedal I look at you’ve already built lol.

Hmmm ...

An inverting buffer made from...

one of ELS' jack-mounted boards:

IMG_9466.jpg

or one of Moonn's teensy Brian buffer:

03D9C1EB-60BE-4055-9EF5-C1F4966C8603.jpeg

The Stage 3 Boost from GPCB would flip phase for you, but it's not as compact as the above two so may not fit in 1590B;
However, I'm not sure if the ELS Micro Buffer or the Moonn Brian flip phase when built stock.

Which would be better to flip the phase on, the clean signal or the effected?

Gotta be a way to do this!

Hmmm ...

IMG_9466.jpg

The Stage 3 Boost from GPCB would flip phase for you, but it's not as compact as the above two so may not fit in 1590B;
However, I'm not sure if the ELS Micro Buffer or the Moonn Brian flip phase when built stock.

Oooooorrrrrrr, just find a 4 knob version for @Robert to trace...... :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm ...

IMG_9466.jpg

Dude thanks for those links…I’ve never seen any of those. Those could be a game changer in some projects.

Back