DEMO Chaos Machine (EQD Interstellar Orbiter)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
After watching all of @DGWVI ’s demos I was having a bit of “resonant filter envy” so I decided to build this.

I have to admit I’m not exactly sure how to use it, it’s got two filters running into each other in opposite directions from what I understand.

In some sense it’s like a phaser on steroids.

This board also has provisions for expression pedal control of either the frequency or rate.
I was a little disappointed that the frequency expression control starts with the frequency center of the global control as opposed to one of the filters. I was hoping to use it like a wah pedal but that’s not how it works.

Still you can control how “vowel”ish it gets. Lot of very vocal vowel sounds out of this thing.
Really neat pedal.

I used a bare 1590xx because that’s that what BOM called for, although the size of the board and empty space in the enclosure makes me wonder if it couldn’t be fit into a 1590BB…….:p

With a name like “Chaos Machine” I decided to do a chaotic paint job. Basically it’s a base coat of bronze then misted with every other rattle can color I had, then clear coated in a satin.

I think it came out pretty neat. Hard to tell iin the bigger pic how many colors there are going on.

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG
The demo I recorded is actually a twofer. It’s a quick demo of the MBP BC Fuzz and then the Chaos.

I had to pre-record the loop into my looper because the fuzz did not like my buffered compressor in front of it.
So the loop is recorded clean with my normal chain then the demo is recorded with the guitar straight into the SheepMaster then then fuzz then the Chaos.

At one point in the fuzz demo I’m kicking on the SheepMaster to boost the fuzz and that’s what i’m using in the “noodling over the loop” in the demo.

After watching all of @DGWVI ’s demos I was having a bit of “resonant filter envy” so I decided to build this.

I have to admit I’m not exactly sure how to use it, it’s got two filters running into each other in opposite directions from what I understand.

In some sense it’s like a phaser on steroids.

This board also has provisions for expression pedal control of either the frequency or rate.
I was a little disappointed that the frequency expression control starts with the frequency center of the global control as opposed to one of the filters. I was hoping to use it like a wah pedal but that’s not how it works.

Still you can control how “vowel”ish it gets. Lot of very vocal vowel sounds out of this thing.
Really neat pedal.

I used a bare 1590xx because that’s that what BOM called for, although the size of the board and empty space in the enclosure makes me wonder if it couldn’t be fit into a 1590BB…….:p

With a name like “Chaos Machine” I decided to do a chaotic paint job. Basically it’s a base coat of bronze then misted with every other rattle can color I had, then clear coated in a satin.

I think it came out pretty neat. Hard to tell iin the bigger pic how many colors there are going on.

View attachment 44809

View attachment 44810

View attachment 44811
The demo I recorded is actually a twofer. It’s a quick demo of the MBP BC Fuzz and then the Chaos.

I had to pre-record the loop into my looper because the fuzz did not like my buffered compressor in front of it.
So the loop is recorded clean with my normal chain then the demo is recorded with the guitar straight into the SheepMaster then then fuzz then the Chaos.

At one point in the fuzz demo I’m kicking on the SheepMaster to boost the fuzz and that’s what i’m using in the “noodling over the loop” in the demo.

P.S. There’s one point in the demo where I seem to lose signal. Got a bum cord somewhere in the mix I need to track down.

This is one I definitely need to revisit. Really only been putting it off because of the weird (to me) enclosure layout. But I think I may just turn it sideways.

Rad demo, too. The bits where it's almost on the verge of oscillation are 🤌🤌

Back