Chop Shop & Spirit Box (with sound clips)

jwyles90

Got two pedals today. The first one is the Chop Shop that I put together for my father in-law's birthday. My partner does the majority of the artwork on the pedals I make, and this one is probably my favorite that she's done so far. It's so pretty, I was a little sad to see it go (even if my FIL is a significantly better player than I am).
The Sag knob is interesting on this one. I tried to get J201s that matched the recommended voltage as best I could, got one that was right at 6.6v and the other was at 6.8v, so I think it works the way it's supposed to. That said it's a fairly subtle effect that you really don't hear much of until the knob is set to at least 1 o'clock. Same goes for gain, it's got just a touch of crunch to it until you get it up to 3 o'clock or so and then it becomes more apparent. Definitely not a bad thing by any means, as I'm told this is supposed to be a relatively low gain pedal, it's just somewhat different than what I'm used to. With the sag turned up a bit it does have a really nice, kind of flubby saturated tone that I was really enjoying.
Dads-Rainbow-Front.jpg IMG-5464.jpg Dads-Rainbow-Back.jpg
The second pedal is the Spirit Box. My partner asked me what kind of pedal it was to try and get some inspiration so I just told her it was a "spooky reverb" and then she must have forgotten because she threw a bunch of glitter on it haha. We decided to call it Spooky Disco Party. I love the way it looks, and think it's way cooler than anything my moody ol brain could've come up with. I thought using a Belton brick would be daunting but it was actually super simple and straightforward. I also heard that it was worth it to replace R4 with an 18K resistor, so I did that as well. I don't know what the original build with the 10K value sounds like, but this one at least doesn't have any issues with unity volume. I'm really enjoying the way the pedal sounds, especially with that little bit of pre-delay that it has. It can really add a lot of space to your sound, or you can dial it back a bit to get a nice little bit of reverb there. Pretty great pedal overall.
Moody-Disco-Party.jpg Dads-Rainbow.jpg Moody-Disco-Party-Back.jpg
The first clip I have the gain and sag knobs dialed up a bit on the Chop shop so you can hear them a little more. The second clip I've got everything cleaned up a bit (with some phaser thrown in there because why not).

Clip 1
Clip 2

Last edited:
Those are gorgeous!
For the Chop Shop, I built one for a friend and replaced the 9.1K and 8.2K resistors with 20K trimmer to bias the jfets at around 6V (with SAG fully CCW), and used a B5K for the sag pot to give it a bit more range (as some people had suggested here).
The SAG should be noticeable, albeit subtle, but biasing is key here.

Those are gorgeous!
For the Chop Shop, I built one for a friend and replaced the 9.1K and 8.2K resistors with 20K trimmer to bias the jfets at around 6V (with SAG fully CCW), and used a B5K for the sag pot to give it a bit more range (as some people had suggested here).
The SAG should be noticeable, albeit subtle, but biasing is key here.
Yea the sag was definitely noticeable but didn't really kick in until the latter bit of the pot's sweep. The trimmer adapter boards are all sold out (on PedalPCB) so I couldn't really get my hands on any to try that out. I'd like to build this one again for myself at some point though, so I'll definitely give that a shot whenever I can find some of those adapter boards.

Yea the sag was definitely noticeable but didn't really kick in until the latter bit of the pot's sweep. The trimmer adapter boards are all sold out (on PedalPCB) so I couldn't really get my hands on any to try that out. I'd like to build this one again for myself at some point though, so I'll definitely give that a shot whenever I can find some of those adapter boards.
Yes, those trimmit! adapters are great. In a pinch, you could socket the 2 drain resistors to get the right value. Definitely build it for yourself, it's a great circuit. It's great for gain staging, or I also like to use a compressor before it.

Got two pedals today. The first one is the Chop Shop that I put together for my father in-law's birthday. My partner does the majority of the artwork on the pedals I make, and this one is probably my favorite that she's done so far. It's so pretty, I was a little sad to see it go (even if my FIL is a significantly better player than I am).
The Sag knob is interesting on this one. I tried to get J201s that matched the recommended voltage as best I could, got one that was right at 6.6v and the other was at 6.8v, so I think it works the way it's supposed to. That said it's a fairly subtle effect that you really don't hear much of until the knob is set to at least 1 o'clock. Same goes for gain, it's got just a touch of crunch to it until you get it up to 3 o'clock or so and then it becomes more apparent. Definitely not a bad thing by any means, as I'm told this is supposed to be a relatively low gain pedal, it's just somewhat different than what I'm used to. With the sag turned up a bit it does have a really nice, kind of flubby saturated tone that I was really enjoying.
View attachment 25484View attachment 25485View attachment 25486
The second pedal is the Spirit Box. My partner asked me what kind of pedal it was to try and get some inspiration so I just told her it was a "spooky reverb" and then she must have forgotten because she threw a bunch of glitter on it haha. We decided to call it Spooky Disco Party. I love the way it looks, and think it's way cooler than anything my moody ol brain could've come up with. I thought using a Belton brick would be daunting but it was actually super simple and straightforward. I also heard that it was worth it to replace R4 with an 18K resistor, so I did that as well. I don't know what the original build with the 10K value sounds like, but this one at least doesn't have any issues with unity volume. I'm really enjoying the way the pedal sounds, especially with that little bit of pre-delay that it has. It can really add a lot of space to your sound, or you can dial it back a bit to get a nice little bit of reverb there. Pretty great pedal overall.
View attachment 25487View attachment 25488View attachment 25489
The first clip I have the gain and sag knobs dialed up a bit on the Chop shop so you can hear them a little more. The second clip I've got everything cleaned up a bit (with some phaser thrown in there because why not).

Clip 1
Clip 2
They both look amazing. I agree with you that the Chop Shop is just incredible!! What is the process used to create this wonderful piece of art?

They both look amazing. I agree with you that the Chop Shop is just incredible!! What is the process used to create this wonderful piece of art?
Right? That's all my partner, she crushes it. For the Chop Shop she used acrylic pour paints and poured each color into a little cup, and then poured them out in layers on the enclosure. It was pretty cool watching the process since she had to rotate the enclosure by hand to get the paint to swirl around and mix like that.

Right? That's all my partner, she crushes it. For the Chop Shop she used acrylic pour paints and poured each color into a little cup, and then poured them out in layers on the enclosure. It was pretty cool watching the process since she had to rotate the enclosure by hand to get the paint to swirl around and mix like that.
Looks like you make a good team!

Back