Chop Shop

Laundryroom David

Keyboard Cowboy 🤠
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The final of my 3 @fig gotten gains. The Chop Shop. Oh, my. Gather round, my friends, and I will tell you a tale as old as the sea. A tale of betrayal, redemption and sweet, sweet toan. Grab a beverage and a snack. Here we go. First, where it ended:

4CD6728F-4E5D-4BCF-A065-C574F065650B.jpeg 62F84206-B685-4B6E-9857-489DA5CFDDA2.jpeg

To paraphrase Han Solo, it may not look like much, but it’s got it where it counts.

I planned for this build to go in a Ford blue enclosure from LMS with silver capped Marshall knobs and the white washer (I KNOW) as an homage to a Ford Mustang with chrome wheels and a white racing stripe. And it did go in that enclosure. But then the motor threw a rod. And by that I mean I couldn’t get the $&@?ing JFETs to make happy sounds.

I removed the guts from the blue enclosure and started researching the J201s. Fascinating tidbit - there are some legit through hole J201s that have a peculiar pinout and are wildly inconsistent in their vital stats. Hah! Who knew? Not me! Thus I ordered a variety of smd j201s and waited patiently for them to arrive.

By patiently, I mean, of course, I built a Pipe Stretcher and put it into the Ford blue enclosure. Side note - if you haven’t built a pipe stretcher yet, DO IT. Awesome pedal.

After some minor surgery, the Chop Shop is in its new home. Sort of like Lightning McQueen after he crashes and he’s all Bondo and broken dreams. Pretty dull on the outside. However, on the inside, 2 new smd j201s.

And it’s here that the Chop Shop totally and completely blew my mind. Biased in seconds. Hooked it up, played a chord and good golly. This is the real deal. I played for almost an hour straight. Then I plopped the Chop Shop in between my General Tso and Kliche and played around with various sounds. Chop Shop into the clean channel of my Rocker 15 Terror with Spirit Box in the effect loop was sublime. Chop Shop boosting into the dirty channel was crazy, raunchy rock and roll toans for days.

So, in a nutshell, damn fine pedal. Ridiculously usable. Gorgeous sounds. Total winner. Build one.

The final of my 3 @fig gotten gains. The Chop Shop. Oh, my. Gather round, my friends, and I will tell you a tale as old as the sea. A tale of betrayal, redemption and sweet, sweet toan. Grab a beverage and a snack. Here we go. First, where it ended:

View attachment 40218View attachment 40219

To paraphrase Han Solo, it may not look like much, but it’s got it where it counts.

I planned for this build to go in a Ford blue enclosure from LMS with silver capped Marshall knobs and the white washer (I KNOW) as an homage to a Ford Mustang with chrome wheels and a white racing stripe. And it did go in that enclosure. But then the motor threw a rod. And by that I mean I couldn’t get the $&@?ing JFETs to make happy sounds.

I removed the guts from the blue enclosure and started researching the J201s. Fascinating tidbit - there are some legit through hole J201s that have a peculiar pinout and are wildly inconsistent in their vital stats. Hah! Who knew? Not me! Thus I ordered a variety of smd j201s and waited patiently for them to arrive.

By patiently, I mean, of course, I built a Pipe Stretcher and put it into the Ford blue enclosure. Side note - if you haven’t built a pipe stretcher yet, DO IT. Awesome pedal.

After some minor surgery, the Chop Shop is in its new home. Sort of like Lightning McQueen after he crashes and he’s all Bondo and broken dreams. Pretty dull on the outside. However, on the inside, 2 new smd j201s.

And it’s here that the Chop Shop totally and completely blew my mind. Biased in seconds. Hooked it up, played a chord and good golly. This is the real deal. I played for almost an hour straight. Then I plopped the Chop Shop in between my General Tso and Kliche and played around with various sounds. Chop Shop into the clean channel of my Rocker 15 Terror with Spirit Box in the effect loop was sublime. Chop Shop boosting into the dirty channel was crazy, raunchy rock and roll toans for days.

So, in a nutshell, damn fine pedal. Ridiculously usable. Gorgeous sounds. Total winner. Build one.
Man, I need to get mine out and play it more.....

I have a Chop Shop PCB incoming. Lots of rave reviews on this forum, so I have high hopes. Also I have many SMD J201s and a heap of adaptor boards, and more of those incoming too.

EDIT: I do need to say look at Mr Fancy Pants with his silver mica capacitor, though. MLCC not good enough for ya?

I have a Chop Shop PCB incoming. Lots of rave reviews on this forum, so I have high hopes. Also I have many SMD J201s and a heap of adaptor boards, and more of those incoming too.

EDIT: I do need to say look at Mr Fancy Pants with his silver mica capacitor, though. MLCC not good enough for ya?
It’s been burnin’ a hole in my pocket!

Just ordered my second Chop Shop board—my first time I’ll be building a second of something… Not sure if as a gift, or as part of a triple (with Mercurial into Tso into Chop Shop), which has been an almost always on threesome since I’ve built them.

Back