SOLVED Circulator cuts off with switches

Dpappas

I built a circulator and everything functions perfect (all controls, sound etc) until I toggle either the rate or vibrato switch in any direction or position. The same thing happens sometimes with the 3PDT stomp switch. The solution is to unplug the power and plug it back in.
The system is stock except I used electrolytical 1uF caps instead of no polarized 1uF caps. Could that be my problem? All voltages seem correct.

I ordered film 1uF caps and I’ll replace them once they arrive. I know there’s one right on one of those switches so it’s possible it’s a problem. The fact that powering it off and back on “fixes” it makes me think it’s a cap issue.

Well, I put in 1uF film caps in all the non-polarized positions, and replaced the 3PDT stomp switch for good measure (I had salvaged it from an old build) and it seems a little more stable but still cuts out if I switch either toggle a few times. I can get 1-2 mode switches in before it cuts out again. Interesting, when it cuts out I can hear the faintest signal bleed through on high gain settings in my signal chain, and I can hear the LFO going through that faint bleed through as well. Did I get crappy switches from Tayda?

Here are a few things you can do to aid progress in troubleshooting:
1. Make sure the board is very clean. Remove all flux residue with alcohol.
2. Perform a thorough visual inspection. Look at solder joints. Look for conductive debris. Check component values and orientation.
3. Post GOOD pictures. Look at some of the other postings in this forum to see what good and bad photos look like, we have plenty of both.

Once we've all had a good look at the board, then we can suggest corrective actions or tests. Do you have a DMM?

I have a DMM, and here are pictures.

Attachments

• 994F80EF-1645-4084-88A3-30826FE6493D.jpeg
    994F80EF-1645-4084-88A3-30826FE6493D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • CD23AEF8-872C-4EB9-A35C-F1F7D0EB5B8B.jpeg
    CD23AEF8-872C-4EB9-A35C-F1F7D0EB5B8B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
There was a snippet of through hole competent too close to the switch body. The slight flex when switching shorted the signal. This is my first experience with on-board switches. Thank you all for your help.

Sure enough, I stand corrected. I finally went and read EQD's Grand Orbiter manual. They imply it will do the Phase 90 sound, which I believe. Wish I still had my old Phase 90 to compare.

My mod has the SWEEP pot wired to go all the way down to zero, so no need for the LFO kill switch.

Sure enough, I stand corrected. I finally went and read EQD's Grand Orbiter manual. They imply it will do the Phase 90 sound, which I believe. Wish I still had my old Phase 90 to compare.

My mod has the SWEEP pot wired to go all the way down to zero, so no need for the LFO kill switch.

I built a Phase 90 years ago as one of my first kits, but ended up trading it somewhere a long the way. I like the subtler Phase 45 sound better, but am intrigued by the Circulator options. Not sure I'd use the LFO kill anyway, but who knows? Hoping to try some of your excellent mods too.

Back