Clench n' Push aka Moonn Juichen aka Bronx Cheer

jcpst

As soon as I got my June order from Moonn, I almost immediately went to populate a few of the smaller boards. I had the pots and switches on-hand for the Juichen, so that's the first one I boxed up.

Up until now, I've only built on PPCB boards. Things I like about the Moonn documentation better: on the bom, the resistor values are in order with the count. I store my resistors in order by value, so this is pretty handy. Overall though, the PPCB docs are nicer- better looking schematic and off-board wiring diagrams. And the drill template- the moonn docs do not come with a template.

I wanted this because I had read that it's similar to a Prunes and Custard. It is, but there are some key differences. Like other fuzzes, this wants you to plug your guitar directly into it. Running anything before it sounds the same as turning off the filter switch, leaving a lo-fi distortion. Your guitar's tone knob basically controls the frequency of the filter, which is pretty cool.

This circuit is about as simple as it gets. It was kind of nice not building something with 100 components or stacked boards.

I didn't plan how I was going to do the offboard wiring, and it's a little wild. I've gotten so used to PPCB builds that I just do it from memory. With this one I wanted to try and follow the docs the first time. I think I might go with more of a PPCB style switch wiring next time.

IMG_1019.jpeg IMG_1021.jpeg

... Like other fuzzes, this wants you to plug your guitar directly into it. Running anything before it sounds the same as turning off the filter switch, leaving a lo-fi distortion. Your guitar's tone knob basically controls the frequency of the filter, which is pretty cool.

I'm sure you're well aware the Juichen deviates slightly from the original Bronx Cheer, ie no transformer on the front end of the circuit.
If you were to add the transformer back in, wouldn't that negate the need for this to be first in the queue?
Then the tone-knob might not work so well controlling the filter's frequency, though...

I don't know, as it's been a long time since I last did any homework on the Bronx Cheer and I've never built one though I've always wanted to.

Fuzzonaut's right, you have a sexy knob there.

I'm sure you're well aware the Juichen deviates slightly from the original Bronx Cheer, ie no transformer on the front end of the circuit.
To be honest, I had no idea- but I do see that after a quick seach.

I got into DIY because was looking for alternatives to the waveshaper setting on my SYB-3. Bronx Cheer was one of the ones that came up in my searches. Then I came across the Juichen while going on my pride month shopping spree.

Back