Component value variance across manufacturers

jessenator

Well-known member
I decided to not spam the IV Bench thread with this question/observation, in follow up to a post I made sourcing a diode since what I had was unmarked and sold as something else.

I just want to shout out @RhPf Electronics / thomasbe for putting this all together! Super fantastic resource. Just today I was able to reverse-detect(?) some mystery/unmarked diodes from my stash. I guessed they were Schottkys, so I started there. Having just dug into my own DCA Pro graphing, I was still able to limp along to get enough samples to match something similar, with a known quantity as the ceiling (BAT41):

View attachment 124665

I know it looks janky, but the zoom UI in DCA Pro isn't what I'm used to as far as UX, so I had to get as much as I could in the screenshot, squeeze and squash to match it up, and do some good ol' 'shopping. I eyeballed it inside IV Bench, took a screenshot of that and overlayed my results (in grayscale to avoid confusion).

I bought these on eBay long ago and I doubled checked in my purchase history, and they were listed as "1N270" which is a laugh, so shame on me for past me's naivety. Funny they were both (Mystery 1 & 2) listed as such, from different sellers, but ended up being two completely different silicon specs.

So there's a new mystery here. I'm not doubting that our resident silicon tracer extraordinaire blundered this largely. Instead I'm curious just how far a component type is allowed(?) to stray while still being called that part number. Case in point:

first-graph-scaled-compared-update-01-10-2026.png
This is updated from last time, and sort of cleaned up. I ordered a number of STMicro made 1N6263 diodes and tested them against what I've got on the breadboard first, then it got my head scratching. I compared the two (the unlabeled, magenta-indicated and branded, red ones) and the curves are quite different. I then went back to IV Bench and shuffled through other Schottky diodes to see if anything might possibly match up, and the 1N5711 looks similar, but not quite.

If one group (Magenta, and it overlapped with whats on IV bench) is 1N6263, and the other group (red) is also 1N6263, is that much difference allowed to be called the same part?

To be clear, the red group is what has been composited onto the other values, which are all from IV Bench.

I suppose I also would like to find the PN of the mystery meat ones, if I can. or just get to the bottom of it all.
 
Another update, another terribly hasty shopped composite. I had previously ordered another batch of 1N6263s from "Chanzon" just to see what would happen when I measured those. Interesting results.

first-graph-scaled-compared-update-04-10-2026.png

These overlap with 1N34Ch, 1SS86/106/99 Schottky diodes in the database. 😵‍💫
 
Another update, another terribly hasty shopped composite. I had previously ordered another batch of 1N6263s from "Chanzon" just to see what would happen when I measured those. Interesting results.

View attachment 125626

These overlap with 1N34Ch, 1SS86/106/99 Schottky diodes in the database. 😵‍💫

Yeah, unless it's LEDs or something simple I don't trust CHANZON at all. I get most stuff from LCSC now.
 
Yeah, unless it's LEDs or something simple I don't trust CHANZON at all. I get most stuff from LCSC now.
For sure. I confess, I'm actually looking for more of the 1N6263s which match the curve on IV Bench, so I figured I'd try to find others with the 6263 PN to see where they hit. These Chanzons are most likely 1SS86s as far as spec goes.

Safe to say that there's lots of confusion in marketing and marking these plain orange glass Schottkys. I'd go back to try for some of those fake 1N270s, but even on ebay most are fetching actual 1N270 prices, which is absurd for a clearly silicon Schottky diode.

@RhPf Electronics hopefully I did those correctly, but am happy to do it again if need be. The tab-delimited text files are attached here!
 

Attachments

Back
Top