Cornish G-2 clone

darwin999

Some pics of my Cornish G-2 clone (Aion Cygnus PCB).
Apologies this one is not from PPCB, I only just decided to post some of my builds.
But I'll make sure the next posts are from @Robert - I have several in my queue.
I'm building for my personal use, and as we have a Silhouette Portrait 2 vinyl cutter at home, that's what I use for labels (topped with 1-2 layers of clear coat).
I've had great luck using the 'Make Market' brand of permanent vinyl, as it's thin and thus easier for rendering fine features.
Laser-printed labels are probably superior in many ways, but we just don't own a color printer and don't have a good print service nearby.
Finally, I label my builds w/ a Geezbox 'logo' as I'm a retired physicist/technology guy.

G-2 clone.1.jpg G-2 clone.2.jpg
G-2 clone.3.jpg

Nice build. I was disappointed when I pressed on your build reports button the other day and found it empty. I look forward to seeing more builds. I think the labels came out nice we have a vinyl cutter also but don't use it as much as I would like. I have wondered if there is a material that adheres well with the 3D printed(PETG) cases I make.

I have wondered if there is a material that adheres well with the 3D printed(PETG) cases I make.
Thanks! Let me check on whether vinyl sticks well to PETG when I make my next set. Hmm, might be worth trying iron-on vinyl as well w/ PETG, like what is used for t-shirts. I do 3D printing for jigs and other pieces in my wood shop, and typically use carbon-filled PETG filament from Atomic in Indiana.

If you haven't already, you should also ask some others here who use laser-printed labels whether those work with PETG.

I've thought about getting a vinyl cutter several times. Many, many years ago I worked in a graphics shop where we produced bus stop signs using a big industrial vinyl cutter. I've seen the home versions, and I've often thought about about getting one, but don't know if I'd get enough use out of it to justify buying one. After seeing your pedal, I'm starting to think about it again. Have you ever used the vinyl cut outs as stencils for spray paint?

Have you ever used the vinyl cut outs as stencils for spray paint?

Good question - no, I haven't tried that. My guess is that with wet paint, edge adhesion of the vinyl would have to be perfect to avoid paint being pulled under via capillary action. For large features it might well work fine, but on small scales and small features (≤1-2mm) it might be tougher. E.g., I did try using vinyl as a mask for etching my own PCBs a few times, and had issues with the etchant creeping a little under the vinyl in a few places - resulting in edges that were blurred rather than crisp. That said, perhaps it might work better with powder coating, though. Hmmm...

For people selling their stompboxes, vinyl is probably a bad choice for two reasons: (1) because the 'weeding' of the cut pieces takes more time than decal application, and (2) vinyl won't hold up to lots of aggressive stomping during real gigs. Hence I really can appreciate your question of using it as a paint stencil.

I mostly play guitar at home while stomping w/ sandals or flip flops, and for that vinyl works great. :cool:

My guess is that with wet paint, edge adhesion of the vinyl would have to be perfect to avoid paint being pulled under via capillary action
I agree if you are apply a thick coat, but I'm thinking more about multiple light (sort of air-brush coats), where there wouldn't be a lot of wet paint to capillary under the edges.

Have you ever used the vinyl cut outs as stencils for spray paint?
I just ran across this post by @scheffehcs where he shows his results, which look great:

I'll add that (as @Robert and others have also noted) while Cricut and Silhouette machines are fairly equivalent machines for cutting vinyl, the Silhouette Studio software is superior to Cricut's in many ways.

Back