Crackle with low drive pedals- Troubleshooting

Synchrony Pedalworks

I have had an issue with two specific pedals: Paragon Mini and Duocast. With the settings on a low gain and with harder pick attacks, there will be a subtle crackle or static like sound that occurs asynchronous with the note played. In a band or loud setting, I would imagine that the problem would not be noticed. However, it is annoying with my headphone setup. I though the issue could be related to the guitar or amp, but switching those variables did not fix the issue. Other drive pedals, like a TS or Angry Andy +, do not create the issue. I tried to filter out the sound with an EQ without luck. Higher gain settings are great for the pedals.

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue or is this normal behavior?

I have had an issue with two specific pedals: Paragon Mini and Duocast. With the settings on a low gain and with harder pick attacks, there will be a subtle crackle or static like sound that occurs asynchronous with the note played. In a band or loud setting, I would imagine that the problem would not be noticed. However, it is annoying with my headphone setup. I though the issue could be related to the guitar or amp, but switching those variables did not fix the issue. Other drive pedals, like a TS or Angry Andy +, do not create the issue. I tried to filter out the sound with an EQ without luck. Higher gain settings are great for the pedals.

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue or is this normal behavior?
Does the crackle happen as the note decays? ("asynchronous is too big a word for me....:))

What OpAmps did you use and where did you get them? I recall that some folks had issues with counterfeit TL072's having a wierd crackle/noise on the note decay that wound up being attributed to the OpAmps. Did you use the stock 4580's on the Paragon? Dunno about the DuoCast as it doesn't have any opamps as I recall.

Does the crackle happen as the note decays? ("asynchronous is too big a word for me....:))

What OpAmps did you use and where did you get them? I recall that some folks had issues with counterfeit TL072's having a wierd crackle/noise on the note decay that wound up being attributed to the OpAmps. Did you use the stock 4580's on the Paragon? Dunno about the DuoCast as it doesn't have any opamps as I recall.
Yes. The crackle is as the note decays.

The Duocast has an LT1054 (not an opamp) that I think I got Tayda. I believe I got the stock ICs for the Paragon at Tayda also.

I'm sure that sample would be helpful.
Thanks for the encouragement to get a sample together. When I listen to the amp cranked (level 5) to record, I don’t notice it much at all. Attached is the sample and you all can give an opinion, but I am now thinking the issue might be with my headphones. The headphones are Grado, open backed, headphones. Could the headphone driver or speaker be adding this sound?

Nothing suspicious in the recording. From time to time I hear buzzing or cracking in headphones, especially when I set volume too high or input level is high.

Great playing! But a demo of the actual problem might be helpful. Like @temol I don't hear anything in that clip above that sounds out of the ordinary. If you hit a note, and it distorts correctly with the amount of gain set, and as the note decays you hear a weird additional crackly fizz as it dies out, that's what I was trying to see was happening. If so then it might be the OpAmps, this has been a known issue with some of the IC's sourced from Tayda. @Cybercow reported this in a post a while back.

Great playing! But a demo of the actual problem might be helpful. Like @temol I don't hear anything in that clip above that sounds out of the ordinary. If you hit a note, and it distorts correctly with the amount of gain set, and as the note decays you hear a weird additional crackly fizz as it dies out, that's what I was trying to see was happening. If so then it might be the OpAmps, this has been a known issue with some of the IC's sourced from Tayda. @Cybercow reported this in a post a while back.
Thanks for listening and compliment. I am thinking it is a headphone problem. It is the common link, and like you, I really don’t hear it through the amp’s speaker.

Back