Creamery hi expansion issues

comradehoser

Well, I'm almost done with building a rack of pedals, and out of (13? I think?) 2 are giving me weird behavior.

One is the okko diablo I am building for a friend, and it will get its own thread.

This one: creamery compressor because I wanted to see what squishy compression could do for me.

Subbed rc4558 for the 4 xx4558 op amps, IMG_20240512_204841832.jpg IMG_20240512_204851547.jpg THAT 2181c for the 2159, 2n4124 for mrs4124, 51p mlcc for 50p. Did not pull any resistors according to build reporting that it wasn't necessary.

The issue: compressor compresses nicely, I haven't noticed any major noise. However, if I turn up the hi-ex knob at all, I get a harsh distortion on the attack of a note. The knob doesn't seem to much change the sound either, although the subtlety of compressors eludes me.

Is this SOP for the pedal, or should I pull that resistor out, or does this sound like something else?

Man, this pedal is just *weird*: it needs to be hot or it clips, the compression knob also changes gain so you have to fiddle with knobs to keep volume stable. Not sure if it's just my build, but it's weird. Sounds great, not sure if it's worth all the hassle. I suppose once it's dialed in to it's forever position it's not so big of a deal though...

Back