Cricut Explore Air 2 or Silhouette Portrait® 2 ?

Dali

Both machines are 200$ USD.

Cricut Explore (basic)

Silhouette Portrait (basic)

I'm waiting for both companies to give me information about shipping to Canada (that can be quite expensive when customs fees add +50$!).

Any experience with any of those?

I've read this already: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/cricut-decals.1905/

We have a Silhouette Cameo 3. For anything pedal related I don't think the extra 4" of cutting area would matter, although being able to use a full 12" sheet without having to cut it down to size might be a plus... If you're planning to do any T-Shirts or anything like that you will definitely want something larger than the 8" Portrait cutting bed.

Never used any of the Cricut machines but I think the Silhouette Studio (Designer Edition) might be a bit more flexible as far as being able to import SVG graphics. Designer Edition is a paid upgrade though... ($23.99)

I have the cricut and its been great. You can also import .svg in their design space and I'm pretty sure that's included in the free version. Both machines do pretty much the exact same job so you cant go wrong with either. I do like having the full 12" mat because most vinyl, cricut or knock off (which I use often and get from amazon), comes in 12" sheets. I usually, run a few copies of the design at once in case I'm doing multiple pedals or I screw up on transferring to the enclosure.

Either way, definitely worth the investment. In addition to just placing the decals directly on a painted enclosure, sometimes I like to place the decal then spray paint over it and then peel the decal off to reveal the color underneath.

Any build pictures @thedwest and @Robert ?

I just realized both small models are available at Amazon Canada so no hidden customs fees! Now I'm tempted...

Here are a couple. The top one is where I applied the decal to a neon pink enclosure then sprayed over with a textured black and then peeled away the decal to reveal the pink underneath.
943A7794-7053-476E-A656-93342D5EC044.png

This one is just a black vinyl on a raw enclosure.
94FD806B-B71E-4376-83E9-CFC6F97FCB02.png

This one was black vinyl on a gold enclosure that I painted and then sprayed clear coat on top of to give it a nice finished look.
IMG_sized.jpg

I'm happy mother of 2 adorable children and I enjoy making some parties for my angels. I had Cricut before, I couln't even download images from the Net, but I bought Silhouette Cameo. And I'm really satisfied with my choice. Now I can cut different materials very accurately. I have some advice: In both cases I used this Gaming svg bundle
HUGE library of models, patterns, cool images - true rescue for all creative people!

If you don't feel like reading my story, scroll to the bottom where I tried to sum up everything in point form, I also included a few tips that I learned as well.

I had never heard of this product before one of my co-workers purchased one and told me about it. Needless to say, I was intrigued, and within a few weeks, I had one on order and was waiting in gleeful anticipation for it to arrive. As usual, it arrived ahead of schedule and within moments of picking it up, I had it unpackaged and ready to go. So this isn't the cheapest of items, but even for this price point, I was impressed with the build quality. Everything was well thought out and intuitive to use. It took moments to set up and it wasn't long before I was ready to start my own projects.

The model I bought came with the basics, A fine point blade, a Standard grip mat, USB cable, a manual, and a few pieces of cardstock to complete the tutorial. (I do suggest doing the tutorial as it helps you wrap your head around how things work). Everything you would need to start to get started. My main reason for purchasing the Cricut was for creating my own vinyl, which I had to order separately, but the more I use it the more I think of different ideas I can make with it. It is almost mind-boggling the number of uses this Cricut machine has. From labels to stickers, to birthday cards to t-shirts. You are essentially limited by your own imagination and the availability of materials. Plus there is a huge online community of already created projects that you can load in and create.

One of the first official projects that I created was a custom vinyl sticker. It was fairly intricate and I wanted to test out how fine of detail it was able to do. Once I loaded the design into the online design space, I sent it to the Cricut and within moments I was staring in awe as the machine churned away, cutting out the pattern I had set up. Once it was done I took a closer look and was shocked at how fine of detail it was able to reproduce. My only complaint with this machine is perhaps the software and its footprint. In general, the software works quite well and having both desktop and mobile versions are pretty awesome, but it is not nearly as intuitive as it could be.

A few things you either discover through trial and error or through online Youtube videos. There is a fairly large tutorial section with the software and online, and I would suggest watching a few videos before attempting any projects. That is unless you like wasting materials. It needs a lot of space, both front, and back. The mat runs through the machine and out the back so the standard 12"x 12" mat needs close to 3 feet in space to run everything comfortably. Just be aware of the space needed before your purchase one. So to sum everything up… This machine is awesome! It carries a fairly hefty price tag, but the amount of uses you get from it, and what it is capable of doing is extraordinary. I seem to discover new things it can do pretty much every day. Basic and templated projects are easy to create, custom gets a bit more complicated, but once you understand it it's fairly easy as well. All in all, If you are on the fence about getting one, then I say jump off and order it, you won't be disappointed.

Summary:
Pro:
• Well built, designed, and easy to use
• A huge array of accessories that allows you to create pretty much whatever you can think of
• Unlimited in potential on what you can create
• Works with a large number of materials
• A huge online community of projects at your disposal
Cons:
• The software can be quite confusing at first
• It needs a lot of space to work. So if you are limited on room, beware before buying it.
• Materials can get costly as you'll want everything!
• The initial cost of the machine is pretty expensive, but it's definitely worth it.
Tips:
THE STANDARD MAT:
One of the first things I tried doing was cutting out a shape on regular paper… worked fine, the only problem is the standard grip mat is pretty darn sticky. Trying to separate the paper from the mat became almost impossible and ended up tearing it and picking tiny pieces off one at a time.
SPACE:
At first, I treated it like a printer. Set it somewhere with lots of room at the front. I quickly realized that the mat gets pulled through the machine and out the back. So make sure you have enough space at both the front and rear of the machine before you start
WEEDING:
For those that don't know, it's removing the unwanted pieces from the vinyl/sticker/cardstock, etc. Cricut sells weeding tools, but I found you can find much better tools for cheaper elsewhere. However, you DO need something, especially if you plan on creating detailed pieces
SOFTWARE: I'd highly suggest watching some tutorials before attempting to make anything. There are certain things that don't seem obvious at first that make a huge difference in your projects. Especially for the print then cut feature.

WEEDING:

SOFTWARE:

WEEDING: I found that a stainless steel dental pick works better than any of the actual weeding tools for sale. I think I grabbed a cheap set for under $5 from Wish (or Amazon?).

SOFTWARE: I haven't use Silhouette Studio in a few years but it was rather quirky to work with. I bought the "Premium" version so I could do all of my designs in Illustrator (or another vector program) then import the design as an SVG into Silhouette Studio.

WEEDING: I found that a stainless steel dental pick works better than any of the actual weeding tools for sale. I think I grabbed a cheap set for under $5 from Wish (or Amazon?).

SOFTWARE: I haven't use Silhouette Studio in a few years but it was rather quirky to work with. I bought the "Premium" version so I could do all of my designs in Illustrator (or another vector program) then import the design as an SVG into Silhouette Studio.
…and yet we don’t have PedalPCB stickers in the store. :unsure:

DIY merch too eh? Most builders have their own merch....

I need merch....I need a Fig Labs logo dammit. Should I go LLC or S-Corp? Where's my assistant? Crap, add one of those too. Okay, the stocks have split so I'm taking it public. Good News! We've had a windfall 3 seconds! The entire Board is cheering me.....wha? took a dump you say? What do you mean fired? I founded this company way back in the previous sentence.

Forget the merch...it's way too stressful.

A client! Time to Phoenix this turkey of a company back to life. Fig Labs is back baby!

It's been a long hard rollercoaster ride...:ROFLMAO: Now to come up with something to slap on that Tee....

Here are a couple. The top one is where I applied the decal to a neon pink enclosure then sprayed over with a textured black and then peeled away the decal to reveal the pink underneath.
View attachment 2633

This one is just a black vinyl on a raw enclosure.
View attachment 2634

This one was black vinyl on a gold enclosure that I painted and then sprayed clear coat on top of to give it a nice finished look.
View attachment 2635
Very nice! Is there a tutorial on how to make that?

This is a particularly creative bunch...that gives me an idea! I could have a contest for the best logo submission. Man I'm in the groove! :giggle:

I've been thinking about doing this as well. Lack of nice looking artwork is the biggest reason I haven't had a bunch of t-shirts and other merchandise.

The current logo is (and always was) just a placeholder that I've never gotten around to updating. :ROFLMAO:

Back