Dark Rift Noise

RowanB

Hi guys,

After your fantastic help I managed to get my first build up and running and sounding great. My dark rift was all good, so I was just waiting on finishing up laser etching my enclosure which arrived at the weekend. Today I put the guts into the enclosure, but when I fired it up I discovered that there is now a weird noise on the delay repeats... Here is the noise:
I took it all out of the enclosure again and tested it and the noise remains. The only thing that's changed is that I swapped out the blue LED for a red LED. I tested it with different cables, two different power supplies, a battery pack and 2 different guitars. The noise isn't there when bypassed.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue and what I can do to solve it would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Rowan

I followed a few other threads on similar issues and tried the LED in line to reduce the input level, I also tried replacing the PT2399 and that didn’t help either.

Any ideas anyone has to solve this would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Not helpful, but I quit messing with the pt2399 due to that noise. I hear it on most of them regardless of the chip or circuit design. I see it described as "lo-fi" and "tape-like" in marketing hype, but it is unbearable digital hash to me.

Not helpful, but I quit messing with the pt2399 due to that noise. I hear it on most of them regardless of the chip or circuit design. I see it described as "lo-fi" and "tape-like" in marketing hype, but it is unbearable digital hash to me.

I don't mind the sound of it when it works! The frustrating thing about this issue is that it didn't used to be there, I must have knocked something or caused some problems when I was housing the guts. Well... now I'm second guessing myself that there was distortion on the repeats before but I didn't notice it! Did you listen to the clip I posted? Would be interested to know if that is the typical sort of noise you'd expect from a pt2399 delay?

I don't mind the sound of it when it works! The frustrating thing about this issue is that it didn't used to be there, I must have knocked something or caused some problems when I was housing the guts. Well... now I'm second guessing myself that there was distortion on the repeats before but I didn't notice it! Did you listen to the clip I posted? Would be interested to know if that is the typical sort of noise you'd expect from a pt2399 delay?
I did listen to the clip and that is exactly the noise I hear on these type of delays. A bright white noise that rides the top of the repeats. In my experience it is typical, and the people that ask me to build them never complain, but I simply can't stand it.

I did listen to the clip and that is exactly the noise I hear on these type of delays. A bright white noise that rides the top of the repeats. In my experience it is typical, and the people that ask me to build them never complain, but I simply can't stand it.

Funny, after I rehoused it and wrote this post I was playing on a much brighter amp so out of interest I tried a different setup and on the different amp it sounds much less noticeable. I must have just missed it before, but now I can't unhear it! Luckily this will be used mostly for ambient pad stuff with loads of reverb after, which makes it even less noticeable.

Very nice job with the enclosure! The details in the aluminum really look great in the background. Now I have the Jeff Wayne's War of World theme running in my mind.... May need to give that a listen later.

Last edited:
Back