Dark Rift

Erik S

This is another one I finished about a month ago, but it didn't really feel finished and didn't get a report.

It worked right away, but I wasn't happy with the noise level. I tried a handful of different PT2399s without much change. I'll probably throw some more on my next order, and maybe keep trying, or maybe just live with it.

This is the first delay I built, and I had high hopes for it. Delay is probably my favorite effect and I'd like to have a great DIY one. The populated board certainly looked awesome sitting in my drawer waiting for an enclosure. Sometimes I'd pick it up just to feel how heavy it was with all those pots!

It's actually still on my board, but not because I love it, just because I've been to lazy to swap it back out for one of my commercial delays. I had some fun making goofy sounds with the modulation when I was first figuring it out, but I've mostly left that section turned all the way down ever since. So, without a modulation setting that I really vibe with, it's just a kinda noisy delay.

I've got a MBP Skoolie on the build schedule, and I got in on the DM-3 group buy, so I'm confident I'll find the DIY Delay of my dreams soon.

6119F8A5-11B9-4E99-B12A-3EA3EA2BBBA3.jpeg
D7A7026B-14E3-4313-B514-26EACD45CA58.jpeg
59DDD870-3CF1-4E95-B121-7417AE798CFD.jpeg

When you say "noise" are you referring to overall noise floor or the sound of the repeats? Great build btw
Thanks! I do think it looks cool at least. The noise is definitely in the repeats. I think consistent with what I read in other build reports - some high frequency noise at higher mix levels/ longer delay times. No issues with the overall noisefloor. May just be the nature of the beast I guess. It's not unplayable, but If I sold it I'd be worried about it.

I had the same noise issue when I built mine up. I tried different PT2399's. Nothing. I ended up using a mod that's floating around this board and soldered a green LED to pin 3 and 7 of the PT2399. I can't remember the explanation of why it works (and it seems like results vary) but it solved my noise problem (and only took a couple minutes to try out).

I had the same noise issue when I built mine up. I tried different PT2399's. Nothing. I ended up using a mod that's floating around this board and soldered a green LED to pin 3 and 7 of the PT2399. I can't remember the explanation of why it works (and it seems like results vary) but it solved my noise problem (and only took a couple minutes to try out).
I forgot all about that! I of course searched the forum as soon as I started troubleshooting, did see that mod and tried sticking various LEDs in there. I think it made some improvement, but also maybe sounded like it was cutting some frequencies that I missed when they were gone? I forget exactly why I wasn't happy with it. I guess I should give it another shot.

Back