Dead End Fx Eva

spi

This one was a long time coming. I wasn't expecting to build it, but around 2 years ago I asked @fig for one of his Fig Labs stickers, and he sent me stickers, picks, and this PCB. When fig gives you a pcb and says "go build something", you go build it.

It took a while gather parts because it uses stuff I don't usually have on hand, such as germanium transistors, transformers, ferrite beads, and a p-channel mosfet (which was surprisingly hard to find in to-92 so I took a shot with a random SMD part and it worked).

Also, I had some issues with boxing it because I didn't plan well for the jack placement (described here: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/frustrating-off-board-wiring-for-eva.19327/). So I had to get another enclosure, paint it and wait until I was ready to do a batch of epoxy finishes.

Almost two years later, and it's complete!

This circuit divides the signal into two independent fuzz circuits, and allows blending them together. The germanium path uses a jfet to split the signal into 2 selectable phases, and then both a NPN and PNP transistor for the fuzz section The silicon side has a buffer, then goes through one coil of the transformer (I don't know if this is to simulate a pickup or what), and then into what looks similar to a silicon fuzz face, but with the addition of a diode (not something I'd seen before).

To me the germanium side sounds smooth and fuller in the low end, and the silicon side sounds a bit rougher. Blended together I noticed you can get some almost octave like tones on the upper frets, depending on the phase setting. Each side sounds good on its own and blending allows a lot of versatility.

PXL_20240601_215939114.jpg PXL_20240601_215117206.jpg

It was so long ago that I soldered it, I forgot it had a trim pot for biasing one of the Ge transistors. I'll have to dial it in even better, but it already sounds good as-is.

Nice build! And congratulations on figuring out how to fit it into an enclosure—no small feat! FWIW, the germanium side of the circuit is a modified all-germanium harmonic percolator, sans clipping diodes.

That’s an interesting pedal. What germanium transistors did you use?
I only bought a couple of each type hoping they'd be close enough to be useful.

For PNP the BOM lists using a AC128 with hfe 90-100 and leakage under 150uA, so I used a 2n527 with 96 hfe and 56 uA. Right on spec.

For NPN it called for an AC176 with hfe 95-105 and leakage under 400uA. I used an AC176 with 71 hfe and 333 uA. Not quite enough gain, but close enough for fuzzing.

Back