Death Cap

SYLV9ST9R

This one sounds quite good, and has nice tonal options but I don't think I need the additional controls from the Algal Bloom, which I really like (also, as the AB is the first pedal I built, I don't think it will leave my board).

Used bc549c instead of 2N5089, but forgot to flip them 180º when testing the circuit, so I had a good 15 minutes of scratching my head wondering what I did wrong (serves me for working late at night...). Might try some other options, but do like how it sounds now. Will try it a bit louder today to test it out properly.

IMG_7958.jpg IMG_7960.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!
I just realized I don't have a silicon fuzz.
I learned a trick with those enclosed jacks if the extra terminals get in the way (you probably know it)
. You can depress the tab through the small hole and pull them out.
Yes, tried it not too long ago, but felt the “grip” was a bit more loose without them. Most of the time Ineither have clearance or I used Lumbergs when space was tight, or just snipped the thin unused metal end.
The only problem I had with the build was I pushed on the DC jack while boxing the circuit and the nut bit through the thread and I had to remove it with pliers and put a new one…

Last edited:
I hadn't considered that. I'll be sure to check next set. Thanks for the heads-up!

The Dung Beetle is a great fuzz. I built the Fuzz Dog version which was designed around the same time as the Scarab Deluxe and they are only slightly different but for me the Fuzz Dog Pitbull is a little rounder sounding. If you look at the schematics they are almost identical but I always find the Pitbull sounds slightly better. You could probably use the Dung Beetle PCB. I do think Dung Beetle is a better name.

Back