Debugging Noise

bhcarpenter

Apart from visually inspecting joints and verifying components are correct, what is the recommended way to track down noisy components in a build? A few of my FV-1 builds are significantly noisier than others, and there has to be a better way to debug this than to just start replacing components until it goes away.

Will you please describe the "noise" in detail?

FWIW, I've run into a few bad date codes for TL072CP dual opamps. They are . . . .

KNOWN BAD TL072CP DATE CODES:
18MDSHY
14AP8NM
07A5L8QM

Two of them came from Tayda. The other from a "reliable" source on eBay. They all exhibited artifacts of increased distortion on natural fade-outs of a signal. When no signal was present, there was no noise detected. But when a plectumed signal was applied, as the amplitude decreased during the natural decay of the amplitude envelope, unwanted distortion was introduced into the signal. When I replaced them TL072IP dual-opamps from a different source, (this time they were from StompBoxParts - and I tried SmallBear and Mouser too), the previously heard distortion was gone.

I'll preface what I'm about to tell you by saying that it's probably not going to be a ton of help...

The FV-1 platform is digital and digital pedals can be sensitive to your power supply or how you have them hooked up.

Are you daisy-chaining these FV-1 pedals with each other? With analog pedals? With pedals that have voltage doubler circuits in them?

Are all of these FV-1 pedals noisy when they are the only pedal between your guitar and amp using an isolated power supply?

Can you describe the noise that you're hearing in more detail?

I’ll try to get a recording of the noise. For power I’m either using a Strymon Zuma or Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II. No Daisy chaining. I’ll try to get a recording of the noise, but I think I was hoping for more process guidance than advice for a particular case. I guess it depends on what kind of noise you’re experiencing?

Here’s an example with an Arachnid build. I have a similar issue with an Organ Donor.

Caveat: I have not yet started debugging, and it’s entirely possible that there’s wrong value components. Or that I fried the FV-1 when soldering it. I guess I’m looking for a “teach me to fish” 🙂

Yikes, that's not right, shouldn't be that noisy. My Arachnid is actually dead quiet.

what is the recommended way to track down noisy components in a build?
An audio-probe, following signal path according to schematics, until you notice something that sounds like your noise :

I am currently considering this build, because audio-probing is sometimes the only way, and it would make the process quicker and easier :

An audio-probe, following signal path according to schematics
I'd follow the audio-probe suggestion.

I always get a ton of noise (sounds like 60hz hum… or maybe DC offset?) when using my audio probe, which is why I didn’t consider that as an option. But this makes me think that maybe my audio probe is broken?

I’ve been using this one. Can’t remember where I got it.

Attachments

• 04FD633D-912F-4C19-BF6C-0B09DF454052.jpeg
    04FD633D-912F-4C19-BF6C-0B09DF454052.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 12
  • C19A0DE7-22A9-4B4D-8A07-9A6C110C3015.jpeg
    C19A0DE7-22A9-4B4D-8A07-9A6C110C3015.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 89087F29-B509-45AE-8FE2-3F030ECEFFF4.jpeg
    89087F29-B509-45AE-8FE2-3F030ECEFFF4.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 12
always get a ton of noise (sounds like 60hz hum… or maybe DC offset?) when using my audio probe
Sounds like it's not correctly grounded ? Noises like that, when it's grounded, occur to me when the tip is in contact with the table, or the enclosure, etc.

Any ground point on the build will do, a jack ground works... alligator clip on the ground probe, makes it a lot much easier to have a steady ground connection.
Edit 2 : ...and it's a good idea to insulate the clip with some tape on the outside, in case it touches something close.

I would expect popping noises at the beginning of a test, when the tip gets gets in contact with a pad, to probe it. Or if the tip is moving on the pad, that's all.

Edit : your probe seems like the electrolytic cap has a big value ? I used a 100n film cap on mine, not sure if that's an issue, though.
Like we are all used to say in Normandie : "maybe it is, and maybe it is not".

Last edited:
Ok thanks all! It sounds like the answer to my original question is “trace the signal path with an audio probe.”

For the particular Arachnid in the example above, I started debugging tonight. This one was indeed a case of incorrect component value. I had installed a B100k as the Mix pot instead of B10k. All seems well now!

Now to debug the other one. And my audio probe.

Yeah i questioned to myself about the cap as well. Not the size in farads, but shouldn't it be an electrolytic cap?

Back
Top Bottom