DEFX Talk-a-lizer. Talk to me.

Stickman393

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Aite. Another entry in the"horror movies I loved" theme

Talk to me is *very* recent. Like this year recent. It's certainly not a perfect flick by any means, but it has some of the most mirror-neuron-firing scenes in anything I've seen since The Descent or Green Room.

Zennials talking to the dead using a magic hand like it's a party trick...until one of the spirits they contact decides that they rather like their new meat suit and want to keep the soul that used to inhabit it.

Its final act is a little bit shaky, but it lands the fuck out of the ending. Netflix it - it's worth a watch.

This one was a bit of an experiment. Carbon fiber for the tread, thick aluminum baseplate, desert ironwood with copper inlay. Inside is the DEFX Talk-a-lizer circuit - a mix between the EHX talking pedal and the color sound vocalizer. The wah section is the vocalizer, the fuzz section is the talking pedal.

Lots of yoyoys up in this business. Fuzz - very usable. Super interesting as an extra wah for a different flavor, not unlike the parasite wah.

The artwork is pretty basic, and I ended up sourcing a NOS clarostat dual gang pot for this one. I'll probably need to plane the wood a bit thinner next time around for the nameplate.

Got more wah enclosure pedals in the works. Love me an expression pedal.

1000006253.jpg 1000006254.jpg 1000006255.jpg

Gorgeous! I've got this one in my queue- just gotta get a good pot for it.

How'd you do the copper inlay? copper wire?
I did this same process to make pendants for stickwife's bridesmaids.

It's super easy: this time I didn't quite do it 100% as cleanly, on purpose. I wanted a little bit of grit.

It's pretty easy with the CNC: plane the stock flat, engrave, de-burr/clean, spread some copper powder on top, soak the powder with cyanoacrylate (super) glue to bind it.

Let the glue harden, re-plane the piece down to its original height (the copper powder and glue will add a good 0.15-0.2mm to the height of the piece). Desert ironwood sands and buffs beautifully. It's up there with lignum vitae as being one of the hardest woods in existence. The copper powder polishes quite well too. Little bit of hard wax oil and it's beautiful.

Here's an example of the pendants:

1000000225.jpg

Awesome work.
How's the group on the carbon fiber?
Never been a big wah guy. Maybe I never found the one. Or the right wah. But I'll check the flick out.

Awesome work.
How's the group on the carbon fiber?
Never been a big wah guy. Maybe I never found the one. Or the right wah. But I'll check the flick out.
It ain't the grippiest thing in the world, I'll give it that. But it's also like...not a big deal. My shoes have grip.

I could machine a bit of 3d texture into it, which would definitely up the grippiness. Something I'll likely try in the future.

Wahs...I've always been a fan. I'm not a whaka-shaka guy, I'm a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhwah wahhhhhhhhhhh wheedly whaaaah guy. My go-to was a teese wizard wah...trying to see if I can replace that with a DIY version.

The super vowel-y, heavy low end wahs are my jam. Like the fulltone Clyde deluxe on whacked. The stock crybaby is...meh.

The yoyoy is a fun little addition. Not a primary wah, but a fun thing to have around.

Back