EXAMPLE Developing a custom pcb for Daisy Seed - Funbox

keyth72

Usually when I set out to make a new guitar effect "thing", I develop it in a vacuum until I think it's ready, and then I'll share the finished product. This time, I thought it would be fun to document the development process, and bounce ideas off the community.

These are the current goals/parameters for the project:

- Daisy Seed based 125B pedal to have as a base platform for multi-effect modules, and testing new DSP ideas
- Stereo in/out
- Midi in/out (mini trs) OR Midi In / Expression In
- Controls: 6 knobs, three 3-way switches, two footswitches, optional outboard dip switches (think Chase Bliss or Walrus Audio Mako control layout)
- Through hole parts (no SMD)
- As cheap as possible for hobbyists to build a single unit, and using widely available parts
- KiCad for pcb design, 2 layer board
- Tayda drill template for enclosure
- Will be using c++ for software development
- Relay bypass is desired, but for me, not necessary (I think this would take either a larger enclosure, or separate board, based on the layout I currently have due to space)
^^^ maybe an option to swap midi in/out for relay bypass using different versions of the pcb?
- Include the low pass filter fix for potential Daisy Seed rev 7 noise
- Adobe Illustrator template for Tayda UV printing, optional

I currently have a version 1 pcb on order from OSHpark, with everything except midi in/out. If this build goes well, I'll add midi and any other features /lessons learned. Planning on setting up a public Github repo and adding to it as I verify things work. PCB design is fairly new to me, so layout advice is appreciated.

I was also thinking people might want to know how to set up the code to use different I/O pins on the Daisy Seed. Normally I just modify libdaisy's "daisy_petal" class, then have a header file as an abstraction to make it easier to understand (similar to the terrarium.h file). I can share some examples if so.

Oh yeah, and I'm calling it "Funbox". I had some cool names like "Nebulae" or "Cerebrum" in mind, but guys, I just gotta go with Funbox.

My version 1 PCB and Tayda order should arrive in a few weeks, will post updates here. Here is the OSHpark render of my current board:

1715199250984.png

As you can see, the placement of the Daisy Seed and potentiometers are approximately the same as Terrarium, but to help with space for the TL074 I turned the switches sideways. 2 button right-angle dipswitch is on the lower left. I think by expanding the board on the top there's room for MIDI in/out, or possibly relay bypass. I measured about a centimeter of leeway in my Terrarium build before running into the audio in/out jacks.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll just edit the post so that updates remain at the top of the thread:
5/15/24

PCB and Enclosure came in the mail on the same day.. what luck! Built, tested, works. I'll need to make some minor adjustments to the drill template for the Daisy Seed USB port and the dip switches. I also might look into a sturdier part for the dip switch. If anyone has experience using dip switch arrays, I'd be curious how it turned out, and what part/manufacturer you went with.

1715781541228.jpeg
1715781592599.jpeg
1715781624288.jpeg

Next on the list: test some real effects on it, right now I just tried a few simple things to verify all the controls respond as expected, and that stereo processing works. And then for the next board, add MIDI and Expression via two mini TRS jacks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom