Diamond Bass Comp

Right on! 18v is no problem for LED if you scale the CLR. Probably still ok if you don’t.

Most LEDs will tell you a current rating (20mA is common). V=IR where V is 18v (well, technically 18v-led Vf), R is the CLR, solve for i.

I installed a 3mm blue LED (Vf~2v according to Tayda) with a 10k resistor (1/8 watt) and everything worked on a 9v supply.

The LED went out VERY shortly after I switched to my 18v tap and the compressor stopped working. I crossed my fingers that the dying LED just gave those 18v a quicker path to ground and, sure enough, when I de-soldered it and ran the pedal at 18v without an LED, everything worked (to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised by how much BETTER it worked at 18v!).

Looking back, I think the 10k was enough resistance but the calculations show that P would work out to approximately 0.16 watts so that was at least 0.035 too much for the 1/8 watt resistor. I replaced what I had with a 1/4 watt resistor at 15k and that seems to work quite nicely!

Glad it’s working. I get 25.6mW over the 10k resistor, so I wouldn’t think that would have been an issue.

P=IV
V=IR
So P=V^2/R. (16v^2 / 10,000ohms = 0.0256w)

But in any case, glad you got that fixed!

Good to hear it’s all sorted!
Thanks for the thanks, but Phi1 did all the heavy liftin’ ’cause he knows what he’s talking about. I’m just parroting.

I think a 15k 1/8w would work, as at 18v level it’s more about the k-resistance, but 1/4w is a sure bet.

I like to run comps, EQ, modulation as high voltage as possible for clean headroom; and sometimes upping a dirt pedal from 9v to 12v or 18v can bring back sparkly dynamics to an overly compressed tone.

I've got Box-Film caps up to 2µ2, and IIRC there are WIMA box-film that go up to 4µ7 available at Tayda.
I just haven't been able to justify those 4µ7's cost when I can double up my cheaper 2µ2s in parallel for 4µ4 — close enough!

As @phi1 shows above, it appears the online Ohm's Law calculator lead me astray! That makes the LED death all the more mysterious but at least the 1/4 watt 15k resistor seems to be working.

Here's how this build turned out:

Attachments

• IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    399.4 KB · Views: 17
Back