DipTrace - Design rules setup help?

uranium_jones

I'll cut to the chase. I want to make my own circuit boards. I want to use DipTrace because it feels slightly easier than KiCAD which is the only other free version I know of. Also it is what our dark lord and master @PedalPCB uses, apparently.

I have had multiple recommendations for JLCPCB as a manufacturer, although I am open to suggestions for others, and the same question applies because I am a bit pcb-illiterate still.. I looked up their circuit design rules and got this page.

How do I translate these specs to the appropriate numbers to input below and not screw up like an idiot? And I don't mean conversions between mm and mil. Instead knowing that I am putting the right values into the right boxes.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

settingsfordiptrace.png

Reactions: fig
The default design rules will work fine for most PCB layouts.

I modify them from time to time in special circumstances (faceplates, or when manually panelizing boards), but for most situations what you have there will work perfectly fine.

What's more important is the Gerber file export settings.
Diptrace Gerber Config.png

That's really cool! I'm always torn on what units to use in the document.

Not sure it's obvious, but this is the very first time I've attempted any type of circuit design. Further tips and tricks for a newbie (whether specific to DipTrace or not) are always welcome.

I usually use inches unless I'm creating a new component, then I use whatever unit the datasheet specifies.

• Wow
Well, with many hours of blowing off real work and a lot of swearing, I am finally (I think) close to finishing a PCB layout in DipTrace. I figured out how to run the auto-tracer, and now I'm going back and try to put some semblance of logic behind component placement and orientation. One thing is frustrating me and I haven't been able to figure it out...

If I rotate a component for direct routing ease, is there a good way to keep the silk text properly oriented? Example below - the 560K resistor is oriented the way I want it, but the text is upside down.

Silk_Rotate.png

Whoa, I had not seen that dialog before! I have literally been changing each component to show the value in the center, and resizing all the fonts. THANK YOU!

Wow! I wish I knew about that earlier— I’ve been manually adjusting everything for years, and it’s always added a solid 2-3 hours to each medium/large layout.

Back