Distortion 250(DOD 250 spec)

cylnplnt

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
IMG_3900.jpeg IMG_3902.jpeg DRILLING ENCLOSURES IS HARD!

Just had to get that off my chest. I know I’ll get an “amen” from the whole congregation on that one. It took two tries to get this far from perfect result.

I’m going make three posts here for Build Notes, Questions, and Pedal Review.

This is my second Distortion 250 build, and my third build of this circuit(first one was a The Plus from Musikding.de). The first Distortion 250, I built pretty close to D+ spec(the standard build to the build doc). On that one I omitted C1 and used A100K and C500k pots for volume and gain respectively. This Distortion 250 I built to 250 “gray” spec. Same pots as the D+ build. Omitted C1. R5(470K),R6 & R7(20K), C6(10u),and C4(4.7u).

Build notes:
-When drilling the enclose I put painters tape on it for protection, then put the template over that. Center punched, pilot drilled, then removed template. Used step drill. After the first few were way off I bailed out. The second time I did the same, but did not use painters tape. Everything turned out way better. I did make a small scratch from drill slip. That was due to trying to adjust the drill spot after eyeballing one of the punches did not look lined up. Moving forward I’m not going to use tape. I will be more careful when drilling to avoid scratches.

-First time using a Breakout Board for the switch. I’m definitely never going back. That was a game changer. Those should be suggested boldly on the website. Or hell, just charge a dollar more standard and include one.

-Really pleased with how my wiring and soldering are progressing. I was geeked on using all yellow wire in tribute the DOD 250 enclosure.

- I sprung for top shelf switch and jacks. Love the thinline Lumberg DC jack(proud of myself for figuring out long prong +, short - without the guide of the build doc). The Switchcraft jacks are sturdy, but they are large. With my less than perfect drilling they were a tight fit. I’m going to use the Lumberg KLBM 3 moving forward as they are a little slimmer and feel almost as nice.

-Geeked on the “large” boss style knobs. Ironically the “boss style” gives the pedal an old school DOD vibe.

Last edited:
Questions:

What is the effect of the different values in R5,R6,R7,and C6? If I understand correctly they are in the power section. How would that effect the sound of the pedal? I get C4. I socketed that in both this and the D+ build. I can hear the difference in changing that part’s values. I don’t have a way to compare the others(no breadboard).

Pedal Review:

This thing is amazing. I 100% get its legendary status. As a clean boost it’s replacing my Tumnus(I actually plan to build another to dedicate to this use). There is a spectrum of great mid gain tones across the range of the gain knob. For the higher gain side I think I prefer the D+, but this variation has its own thing and sounds fantastic. Between the 250 and D+ I think I favor the 250. The 250 makes multiple sounds I like, whereas the D+ basically does one sound I like(an upper gain overdrive). Off the shelf I’d choose a 250 if I could only have one. The D+ sound I like would actually require modification. I imagine I could get what I wanted from a stock new 250 if I was in a pinch. Both of these Distortion 250 builds have a spot on my board, and I currently plan to build another. In short: Build one. It rules.

@drgonzo1969 Yes!The yellow wire was a ⚡🧠
I really like the minimalism of the plain black enclosure, but I’m having a blast using the knobs, LEDs, and now the wires as expressive elements. Even if I’m the only one that knows about the wires, it’s mojo!

Back