DPDT Wiring - advice needed (if this is even possible)

mkstewartesq

OK, so I’ve already devoted enough space in other threads to my “7 loop switcher” build and whether it needs a buffer. I’ve decided it does and I actually built a Cornish buffer on stripboard that I like. However, because I’m going to have some treble boosters on that board (which the buffer does not play nicely with) I’d like to be able to turn the buffer on and off. That would be simple enough. But wait, there’s more.

1. I found that it sounds slightly different when used as an input buffer versus an output buffer so I’d like the option to make the Cornish buffer go into the signal path in the looper either as an input buffer or as an output buffer (with an option to take it out of the signal path entirely). This means setting up some way for it to either enter the signal chain between the input jack and the input of the first loop or between the output of the last loop and the output jack. I’ve wasted most of a pad of paper trying to figure out how to wire this up on a DPDT (I assume it would be an on-on-on) and apparently I was smart enough to make it through law school but not smart enough to figure out how to arrange wires on six lugs to achieve the result I want. Or it may very well be that this is simply not possible with a DPDT.

I’ve included a diagram below. Does anyone have any suggestions how to wire this up – or to confirm that it’s simply not possible with a DPDT?

2. Fallback plan – if there is a way to wire it so that it can be an input buffer or output buffer but lose the option to take it out of the signal path entirely, can anyone give advice on how to do that as a fallback plan (again, if even possible)?

Thanks, as always,

Mike
IMG_1777.jpeg

Why not just build two buffers?
Output should always be on, wire with gain style (no coloration).
Switching it around is an option, and would likely take a 4pdt. But it's good practice to just have an output buffer, wether that's a final pedal that has an always onbuffer, or a dedicated buffer.
Flip flopping it around may have unforseen adverse issues.
Better to just have one up front you can turn off if needed(say, for vintage fuzzes).
My tired weird brain says, if you want to flip flop a buffer, do it where it disengages when you actives your fuzz loop. Either via 4pdt or relay. Then one stomp does it all and you still drive to your amp with a consistent impedance.
Not pooping on your idea, just not how I'd approach it myself...
Best of luck.

Why not just build two buffers?
Output should always be on, wire with gain style (no coloration).
Switching it around is an option, and would likely take a 4pdt. But it's good practice to just have an output buffer, wether that's a final pedal that has an always onbuffer, or a dedicated buffer.
Flip flopping it around may have unforseen adverse issues.
Better to just have one up front you can turn off if needed(say, for vintage fuzzes).
My tired weird brain says, if you want to flip flop a buffer, do it where it disengages when you actives your fuzz loop. Either via 4pdt or relay. Then one stomp does it all and you still drive to your amp with a consistent impedance.
Not pooping on your idea, just not how I'd approach it myself...
Best of luck.
Thanks for the advice. I have just decided to go with separate input and output buffers, but not try to switch them back-and-forth. (Oddly, even though they are both the exact same design, the second one I built sounds a bit better than the first so now I’m just testing to see which one I want to go in the front and which one in the back). I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Mike

Back