SOLVED Dumb mistakes: Solving Aion Ember/Amptweaker tightmetal, GCI Apostle, and Duocast issues

comradehoser

Just for posterity, if I can give back to this awesome forum community (besides buying up all of pedal pcb's catalogue), hopefully this can help anyone out to learn from my dumb mistakes:

I Built the Aion Ember/Amptweaker Tightmetal, and it was exhibiting some weird issues: worked fine for a bit, then no signal in 9V mode, and in 18v, it would start out okay, then fade away and disappear. It was getting worse over time. Looked more closely and I had hit the edges of caps c19 and c20 soldering in the style switch and volume pot. I've done it before with no issues in other builds, but on closer inspection, I could see the metal interior under the plastic. Replaced both, reflowed everything, and high-gain awesomeness. Currently one of my favorite pedals in 18v mode.

Built the GCI Apostle, a Orange CR120/Matamp 120 clone. It was "okay", kind of quiet, thin, and unimpressive, not at all the gainy sludge preamp I was expecting. Kind of disappointed, but I was like, okay, GCI muffed it. Had it kicking around for a couple of months, until one day, I was looking at a loose connection or something, and uh, yeah, I had missed the socket with one of the legs of a transistor. Put it in and, yes indeed, it is a super loud and sludgy preamp. Funny how those electrical parts work when you put them where they are supposed to be.

Finally, the Duocast. Built it up, and got a fine signal from the "loud" side, and the teeniest-tiniest of the teeny-tiniest of signals on the "quiet" side. I thought, oh, maybe it's a faulty transistor (I don't have good luck with germanium). But no, I had mixed up the order of wires 3 and 4 on the selector footswitch (they are mirrored from the bypass 3pdt). Reversed, and it is rocking. Just have to figure out how to dial it in optimally.

Bonus: I used to "tack" in one pin on sockets and then bend them to alignment if needed, but I am 99% sure that practice lifted some pads and resulted in way more frustration than was really necessary in my recent twin face build. I also noticed on reflection that most of the issues in my builds required jumpering around socketed IC pins. Now, if I need to realign, I just reheat the tack joint to move. Haven't had any issues recently *crosses fingers*.

How did you like the GCI Apostle? Did you have any other issues apart from the missed transistor leg? It caught my eye and I might build it at some point.

Oh yeah, it's great! A very nice spread of gain range, especially with the boost pot, although it does tend towards the saturated. No other issues, really. It's definitely not a "beginner" build just for the cap selector switch alone. The difference between the matamp side and the orange side is not so huge, nor between the caps, but I think it's pretty true to style. I can do a good Sleep's Holy Mountain impression with it.

Just for posterity, if I can give back to this awesome forum community (besides buying up all of pedal pcb's catalogue), hopefully this can help anyone out to learn from my dumb mistakes:

I Built the Aion Ember/Amptweaker Tightmetal, and it was exhibiting some weird issues: worked fine for a bit, then no signal in 9V mode, and in 18v, it would start out okay, then fade away and disappear. It was getting worse over time. Looked more closely and I had hit the edges of caps c19 and c20 soldering in the style switch and volume pot. I've done it before with no issues in other builds, but on closer inspection, I could see the metal interior under the plastic. Replaced both, reflowed everything, and high-gain awesomeness. Currently one of my favorite pedals in 18v mode.

Built the GCI Apostle, a Orange CR120/Matamp 120 clone. It was "okay", kind of quiet, thin, and unimpressive, not at all the gainy sludge preamp I was expecting. Kind of disappointed, but I was like, okay, GCI muffed it. Had it kicking around for a couple of months, until one day, I was looking at a loose connection or something, and uh, yeah, I had missed the socket with one of the legs of a transistor. Put it in and, yes indeed, it is a super loud and sludgy preamp. Funny how those electrical parts work when you put them where they are supposed to be.

Finally, the Duocast. Built it up, and got a fine signal from the "loud" side, and the teeniest-tiniest of the teeny-tiniest of signals on the "quiet" side. I thought, oh, maybe it's a faulty transistor (I don't have good luck with germanium). But no, I had mixed up the order of wires 3 and 4 on the selector footswitch (they are mirrored from the bypass 3pdt). Reversed, and it is rocking. Just have to figure out how to dial it in optimally.

Bonus: I used to "tack" in one pin on sockets and then bend them to alignment if needed, but I am 99% sure that practice lifted some pads and resulted in way more frustration than was really necessary in my recent twin face build. I also noticed on reflection that most of the issues in my builds required jumpering around socketed IC pins. Now, if I need to realign, I just reheat the tack joint to move. Haven't had any issues recently *crosses fingers*.
I don't want to knock on Aion, but I did notice some solder flow issues with their Katana and Steel String clones I built... I've done a couple Musikding kits (really generic, simple green pcbs), and recently a PedalPCB JHS VCR clone and currently finishing up a Thorpy The Dane. The only builds I had issues with and had to do several rounds of troubleshooting with were the Aion builds... I guess it didn't help it was my first foray into the J201s with the surface mount adapters, which were kind of a pain. I looked at a couple more builds from them and all seemed to have J201's. My amp tech Ron helped me troubleshoot those builds (Dude is a retired electrical engineer who made circuits for the military) and then recommended me to PedalPCB... I've been super happy with the results. I like that the component values are printed on the board instead of having to cross-reference a parts list. I'm a novice, so it's a big help when you don't have extra steps to screw you up.

I would agree with pedal pcb's excellent practice. I really don't see the virtue of cross referencing a part number with a list, and pPCB layouts are really gratifying.

Honestly, I've never had an issue with Aion's stuff and i actually find his boards much easier to physically solder due to the larger pad dimensions. His documentation, also, is really good--i especially appreciate the mouser excel sheets. Makes copy and paste ordering very very easy. (Take note, pPCB!) Aion's notes are also pretty good for learning--for that, though, coda's black hole notes are the best. Basically a mini class.

I would agree with pedal pcb's excellent practice. I really don't see the virtue of cross referencing a part number with a list, and pPCB layouts are really gratifying.

Honestly, I've never had an issue with Aion's stuff and i actually find his boards much easier to physically solder due to the larger pad dimensions. His documentation, also, is really good--i especially appreciate the mouser excel sheets. Makes copy and paste ordering very very easy. (Take note, pPCB!) Aion's notes are also pretty good for learning--for that, though, coda's black hole notes are the best. Basically a mini class.
Oh yeah, layouts seemed fine to me, and the mouser feature is also really cool as far as ordering the parts go, although generally I keep a bunch of bulk resistors and cap kits on hand. I buy the bulk Amazon kits for the usual suspects, like box caps, resistors, etc... Generally before a build I will go through and determine what I DONT have, like chips and more uncommon pots and order those, populate what I do have so I can just finish the build once the rest arrives... I'm bad for trying to do the whole thing start to finish in one session, usually drilling and applying a coat of paint to the enclosure the night before, another in the morning and another before I start populating, so it's ready to go... kinda makes me push through and finish a build since I'm already so close... but that eye/brain fatigue tends to cause me to make silly, simple mistakes occasionally
The PedalPCB boards really help with that, as I have an extra visual confirmation on what part goes where directly on the board.

Do you recall what you used for C2 and where you sourced it? It's listed as:
C2 10u 072X0352 072X035 0.15 - 1.0uF
I found on mouser some $4 film capacitors and I'm wondering if I'm missing something (and yes, I'm new to this).
BTW: if you ever build the GCI HM2, its a great sounding pedal but the drill template is off.

Of course, my dude/ette, I will check for you next week... sorry on the reply lag, I haven't been on the forum in a while and am currently on vacation status.

C2 of which pedal, tho...? [ah, the Apostle]

[Edit:] I'm afraid I don't have too much to add that would be useful. Pretty much I did what I always do, which is to go on Mouser and choose the capacitors with the tightest tolerances at the best price. There are some that are almost $4, but if you scroll down, you can find more reasonably priced ones around $1.50--seems like they are mostly all WIMA, which is weird, but here you go: https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-co...film-capacitors|~Voltage Rating DC|~Tolerance

Last edited:
Back