Dunwich DA-120 on a breadboard

Would love to know if this is a worthwhile build for Bass...

I know there are bass demos on youtube. For guitar, it works as expected. It sounds good on its own and it definitely stacks well. So far I've tried a Rat and a Muff in front of it with great results. I think I'm going to build a mini doom pedalboard with a compressor, parentheses, big muff, and this pedal. ("mini" pedal board with only 4 pedals, but 3 of them are 1590XX. . . ) Plug that into any power amp and it should shake the house down.

That would be an awesome board: just a few, but BIG, pedals!

PS: Definitely worthy of a build for bass, but then ... most Dunwich stuff is.

Last edited:
Looks good. How noisy is it? That's a whole lotta MOSFETs and they are noisier than JFETs.

It gets noisy. I did a check today. The Drive and Gain behave similarly, with the gain causing a bit more noise.

For some perspective, my Mojito is very quiet.

With drive and gain below 10 o’clock this DA120 is quiet.
At noon it’s noticeable but acceptable (similar to a maxed Mojito).
Maxed out it’s pretty noisy.

There’s a lot of fidelity in the gain and drive sweep. In the 9-12 o’clock range, there’s quite a bit of drive available while still being quiet. North of 12 o’clock, it’s well outside of “subtle overdrive tones”. At that point, the noise doesn’t bother me if I’m trying to vibrate the paint off the walls.

I decided against the available strip board layout because I don’t enjoy off board wiring and wanted board mounted pots.

So I worked out a perfboard layout in DIYLC. Once it’s done and confirmed, I’ll post the layout. It’ll fit in a 1590XX.

I triple checked the layout against the schematic. Then I moved the components one at a time from the breadboard to the perfboard, checking along the way and talking out loud to myself. “Input, 10 meg to ground and 100nF. 100nF to Q1-2 and..and…, etc”

All of the components are placed. Tomorrow I’ll cover it in blue tacky, flip it over and start soldering.

View attachment 32899
hello, could you share the layout schematic?

I never posted the layout because I can't say it's verified. I changed some things when building it because the layout is a mess and not easy to build (that was putting it lightly. The build is a nightmare. The traces are too tight, components to close together, the pots are a pain. Pretty much every step is a disaster waiting to happen).

The schematic posted above is good, so you could make your own layout. But here is the last drawing I made. The yellow wires go to the depth switch. The blue lines are jumpers on the component side of the board.
1685584284137.png

Attachments

• DA120_layout.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
I’m not sure if you really need all 6 choices. You could probably use a toggle switch for 1, 10, and 100nF. (Or whatever 3 seem the best)
Yeah, the six is a bit overkill given the footprint of the switch. Circuit sounds great, but that amount of nuance along with the bass/treble and active mid boost stage is a little redundant.

Also, it is very loud.

Also, the dunwich pedal alters the James stack from the typical orange values (not sure if that’s how the matamp is or not). That may be another place to alter the frequency filtering.

i built a pcb using effects layouts 'ef120' schematic and it didnt work, so made another one using this one and having the exact same issue, first time im stuck on something i cant figure out :unsure:

Would it be feasible to replace the rotary switch S1 on this with the variable capacitance multiplier in Figure 21 on this article from Rod Elliot? https://sound-au.com/articles/gyrator-filters.htm#s12

Very interested in laying out a board for this but I always have such a hard time with laying out rotaries

View attachment 49860

That C-multiplier has the cap tied to GND, which is not want we want for the DA-120. We could build a "floating" C-multiplier with two opamps, but because the 1st stage has a low output impedance and the 2nd stage has a high input impedance, there is a much simpler solution.

1. If it isn't already, make the GAIN pot A1M.
2. Increase R6 to 4.7M.
3. We'll keep C3. Delete C4-C8 & the rotary switch. Change C3 to 6.8nF.
4. Connect pins 2 & 3 of an A500K pot to GND. This is the new FAC control. Connect pin 1 of the pot to a 10K resistor.
5. Connect the other end of the 10K resistor to the junction of C3 & R5.

That's it. The FAC pot has the same range the Orange 120 FAC switch. Turning FAC CCW decreases the bass content.

It's no coincidence that this new FAC control circuit is similar to the TIGHT control in the Friedman pedals.

BTW, D2 & D3 are unnecessary. Once the board is assembled, Q2 & Q3 do not need ESD protection.

Last edited:
I wanna know why Q4 needs an adjustable bias.
The 1st opamp's gain is too high and it will saturate before Q4 does. Unless one dials the bias way down. Why not just hard-wire the bias to the correct value?

I just don't think we need a trimpot to get there. I'm guessing that designer intended Q4 and the IC to emulate a tube amp's push-pull output. Thing is, Q4 is single-ended and the opamp can't change that by sensing it differentially. The MOFETA & Brownout do it the right way with a differential transistor stage emulating the push-pull output. I have not breadboarded the MOFETA yet, but can tell you that the Brownout has some excellent tones.

Back