Duocast Ge specs

Trevlett

Hey guys,
My first time working with a germanium Transistor.
Q2 of the Duocast requires a OC71, I'm looking for an alternative at my local supplier.
He needs the following info to help..
  • Voltage ratings
  • Hfe
  • Leakage
Any recommendations?
Thanks
Trev

OK, so seriously gain and other specs mentioned by the OP doesn't matter? It just has to be germanium???

How much is a reasonable price to spend? I've seen single OC71s going for $10. Does anyone have a better source? Even an eastern european seller that might do a multi pack for use in rangemasters or other similar circuits?

Aim for hFE~=70–110. The part number is irrelevant. The OC71 has so much mystique surrounding it that has driven up the price (that and it’s been OOP for decades). Unless you’re getting guaranteed gain and leakage specs, I’d be willing to bet all OC71 devices were previous cast offs that are now being sold. Save your money: Socket the transistor and try out any PNP Ge in the gain range with low leakage.

Those would most likely be fine. Small bear has plenty of options too. Don’t get hung up on the part number. It really doesn’t matter for this circuit. You just want moderate gain and low leakage devices. SBE will have the specs listed and you can choose what device sounds good to you.

Back