Effects Layouts Distortion Supreme

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I believe this is the board that @Guardians of the analog traced that EL finally put the board out for. I haven't confirmed this yet though. I'm pretty sure I had one of these at some point trying to get that Korn sound.

It's a pretty cool distortion pedal. No clipping diodes. Loads of gain. Imo, it's a lot a fun to play in a bedroom setting. I can't imagine it having much use in a live band setting. But it still kicks ass nonetheless.

Pretty easily build for a relatively high parts count. I couldn't find any 2SK170, so I used 2SK209-GR from Aion instead. Seems to work fine except having to reorient the legs to match the proper pinout.

I went with Mega Man because Mega.

All in all, a good build.

Attachments

• 20240915_171609.jpg
    20240915_171609.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240915_171617.jpg
    20240915_171617.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240915_171627.jpg
    20240915_171627.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 18
ohhhh i get it. it's a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion.
(had to look it up 🤪)
never heard or played one before. gonna have to check out a demo...
quite an interesting schematic/circuit design.

build looks sick too 🤟

Love love love love it!

I just received one of these boards, I've also wanted to build one of these since @Guardians of the analog posted his awesome Distortion Supreme build report and demo.

I usually don't play with that high of gain. But check this out: Guitar Pedals Visualized: Boss MD-2. I had the actual Boss MD-2 not too long ago, and to my ears, it had kind of a fuzz+distortion sound. I didn't keep it very long, but GOTA's build report re-ignited my interest. Now I want to see if it can maybe kinda-sorta do the Big Muff thing, but with a more mix-friendly EQ.

Is your enclosure artwork some kind of decal? Or is that a UV print? I might shamelessly steal your Mega Man idea, it's brilliant. I remember buying Mega Man 2 from Best Buy with my allowance money when I was a boy. I had never heard of it, but bought it based on the packaging. What a great game. I remember I actually pre-ordered Mega Man 3 when it was announced!

Love love love love it!

I just received one of these boards, I've also wanted to build one of these since @Guardians of the analog posted his awesome Distortion Supreme build report and demo.

I usually don't play with that high of gain. But check this out: Guitar Pedals Visualized: Boss MD-2. I had the actual Boss MD-2 not too long ago, and to my ears, it had kind of a fuzz+distortion sound. I didn't keep it very long, but GOTA's build report re-ignited my interest. Now I want to see if it can maybe kinda-sorta do the Big Muff thing, but with a more mix-friendly EQ.

Is your enclosure artwork some kind of decal? Or is that a UV print? I might shamelessly steal your Mega Man idea, it's brilliant. I remember buying Mega Man 2 from Best Buy with my allowance money when I was a boy. I had never heard of it, but bought it based on the packaging. What a great game. I remember I actually pre-ordered Mega Man 3 when it was announced!
Thanks, Matt. And thanks for sharing that visualized link. I haven't seen it. That was a cool read.

Artwork is just laser white wasterslide decal. I have access to a really nice color Laser printer so it can look pretty good. I always loved the asthetic of those original Mega Man games. Great colors. I just remember they were so damn hard! It took some skill to be good at the games.

ohhhh i get it. it's a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion.
(had to look it up 🤪)
never heard or played one before. gonna have to check out a demo...
quite an interesting schematic/circuit design.

build looks sick too 🤟
Thanks dude. Oh yeah I probably should have mentioned what it was haha. Good call.

You might dig this one. I think I remember seeing some of your demos of some high gain stuff that sounded killer.

Not to say the MD is or isn't killer. It's one of those "not for everybody but can sound good if you know how to use it" types.

Thanks dude. Oh yeah I probably should have mentioned what it was haha. Good call.

You might dig this one. I think I remember seeing some of your demos of some high gain stuff that sounded killer.

Not to say the MD is or isn't killer. It's one of those "not for everybody but can sound good if you know how to use it" types.
maybe.... just checked out a demo from gota's thread. sounds quite grainy, not as much 'amp-like' rich harmonics as i'd like, and seems to flub out a bit (perhaps from too much low end) with guitar direct into the pedal.
or maybe there was just too much gain in the demo. idk 🤷‍♂️

it may well be one of those situations where a good mid boost/low end cut from a TS type drive would solve most of the things i don't like.
(for example, i find the SLO100 lead channel basically unusable without an overdrive in front, but with one, its fucken magic)

from a few descriptions it almost sounds a bit similar to how the JHS PG14 operated. that thing is all over the place.

Back