El Sol, No Sound When Plugged In

jwest1985

My first build is an El Sol and I'm not getting any sound when the pedal is engaged. The DIYPedals subreddit gave me some pointers, but no luck.
I accidentally bought 10mm 10u caps instead of 5mm, and a B100k pot instead of an A100k, but I don't know if that will stop it from functioning.
The pedal works in bypass, no sound when turned on.
Unplugged from the guitar and amp the LED works. The LED turns off when I plug the amp cable into either jack.
I tested the ICs with a multimeter and they seem fine.
I re-soldered the pot after the picture was taken.
Tried flipping the LED around.
Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you. 20220708_133821.jpg Resized_20220708_133807_72099296456974.jpeg

Reactions: fig
Sounds like a short somewhere. Make sure there are no stray wire strands around your 9V / GND wires, and look for any solder splashes.

The wrong size caps (physically), pot taper, nor LED would cause the circuit not to work, but there may be something fishy that you can't see going on underneath that large cap at the top left.

Reactions: fig
Thank you. Right now I think it's a short in the ICs. They passed the diode test yesterday, but I just tested them for continuity and they have continuity between most of the pins. I'm going to reorder the ICs with sockets this time.

Thank you. Right now I think it's a short in the ICs. They passed the diode test yesterday, but I just tested them for continuity and they have continuity between most of the pins. I'm going to reorder the ICs with sockets this time.
Was that test performed with the ICs soldered to the PCB, or loose samples ?

Back