Electric Druid Digidelay

Diynot

This is my second board/project from Electric Druid, the first being the Filterfx, even though I have used their chips in a few others. This is the DigiDelay 4sec delay pedal. Didn’t really need another delay, but thought it would be cool to try one with extra long delay times. Project was easy enough to put together. Has the option for guitar or synth/line level input, I went with the synth/line setup which I think just attenuates the signal a little, that or it balances the clean volume better with the repeat levels, not sure. Seems to work fine with guitar either way. An interesting feature is the 2 smaller knobs are high and low pass filters for the repeats so you can tailor the tone of the echoes. Also has the option for tails. I could have put a switch on the outside, but decided an internal DIP would suffice. One rather glaring negative for me is this is a NOISY pedal. I fully accept the possibility it’s something I did in the construction, but I have never built a pedal that had such a high noise floor. I may need to move the power lines further away from the delay chip to see if that helps. All in all, a decent project, but not anything super special for me. I had some ideas for art and name, but ended up not feeling this pedal enough to devote the time. Box is champagne metallic. Pics:
92DD1743-58ED-4EF9-BAAA-FAB081E68378.jpeg 36834A0D-1AFA-4E7F-8B4C-4BD8BC6805B0.jpeg

This is my second board/project from Electric Druid, the first being the Filterfx, even though I have used their chips in a few others. This is the DigiDelay 4sec delay pedal. Didn’t really need another delay, but thought it would be cool to try one with extra long delay times. Project was easy enough to put together. Has the option for guitar or synth/line level input, I went with the synth/line setup which I think just attenuates the signal a little, that or it balances the clean volume better with the repeat levels, not sure. Seems to work fine with guitar either way. An interesting feature is the 2 smaller knobs are high and low pass filters for the repeats so you can tailor the tone of the echoes. Also has the option for tails. I could have put a switch on the outside, but decided an internal DIP would suffice. One rather glaring negative for me is this is a NOISY pedal. I fully accept the possibility it’s something I did in the construction, but I have never built a pedal that had such a high noise floor. I may need to move the power lines further away from the delay chip to see if that helps. All in all, a decent project, but not anything super special for me. I had some ideas for art and name, but ended up not feeling this pedal enough to devote the time. Box is champagne metallic. Pics:
View attachment 37114View attachment 37113
I’d be curious on asking him about the noise. He’s very regular over at diy and seems very helpful about stuff. He answered a lot of my very very noonish questions when I was first starting.

The Champagne and Violet-ano go so well together!

Sorry to hear about the noise floor, did you manage to get it sorted yet?
I ask because I have the board, but still need to get the chipset — and I will figure out a way to have top-jacks but the noise issue may complicate going for top-jacks...

The Champagne and Violet-ano go so well together!

Sorry to hear about the noise floor, did you manage to get it sorted yet?
I ask because I have the board, but still need to get the chipset — and I will figure out a way to have top-jacks but the noise issue may complicate going for top-jacks...
It is a good color combo. I have not had a chance to pull it apart and poke at it yet. I may revert it to the guitar specific resistor values and there is ONE 100n cap on the BOM that isn’t an mlcc that I went ahead and used an mlcc for that I may try swapping. I got the board and chip set together. One other thing I have noticed and maybe it will change once I make adjustments, I only get maybe 4 repeats max and if you dime the feedback pot, it locks up the delay chip.

I think that the noise floor is a known issue with this pedal. I made one a few years back, not long after it came out, and it had the same issues. I went through every trick Tom mentioned (caps, wiring, etc.) and it didn't lower the noise floor one bit. Not saying you might not be able to figure something out, but it might not be as easy as you are hoping for.

I think that the noise floor is a known issue with this pedal. I made one a few years back, not long after it came out, and it had the same issues. I went through every trick Tom mentioned (caps, wiring, etc.) and it didn't lower the noise floor one bit. Not saying you might not be able to figure something out, but it might not be as easy as you are hoping for.
Thanks for the info Dan. That’s a little disappointing. Does yours have more than 3-4 repeats at almost max feedback and does yours lock up when the feedback knob is dimed?

Thanks for the info Dan. That’s a little disappointing. Does yours have more than 3-4 repeats at almost max feedback and does yours lock up when the feedback knob is dimed?

I honestly do not remember. I got rid of the pedal a few years back, but I don't remember any feedback issues.

I'm not sure if you have looked here, but the comments section at the bottom might be of some help to you.

Back