SOLVED Electrovibe biasing woes

Locrian99

Man, I feel like I’ve spent way too long messing with this thing at this point. The one mod I’ve done so far (figured I wanted to see how it sounded stock before going crazy) was the unity mod.

Perused just about every thread I could find, checked out dk pedals little snippet on jt (which I find his rough estimation of explaining the settings are about where I find mine is best). But I can’t help but think mine isn’t right.

So I’ve built a little light shield with a bottle cap some blue painters tape did some sharpee action but I also am just keeping the room as dim as possible and using a flash light to see when I move the trimmers.

Full intensity I feel pretty good at max speed that there’s a pretty decent range that sounds like what I’m after and I can kind of pick which sounds best to me. But as I lower the speed I feel like the effect really fades. I can at full intensity half speed feel like it’s a solid enough effect, but back off the intensity and I feel the effect is gone or for the most part. I keep twiddling with it, and just can’t find a spot where I feel like at half intensity half speed is the level of effect I should expect.

So I guess my question is, is the effect reallt subtle unless the intensity is maxed, or do I need to keep adjusting/look for another issue.

I’m using 9203 ldrs, currently I have them touching the bulb (I haven’t played with spacing much yet).

Thx

It's not perfect, but we can always readjust the DEPTH knob. Like many pedals, not all combinations of knob settings are useful. I recommend that you dial-in the trimpots for the slowest SPEED and highest DEPTH settings you use.
I’ll continue tinkering with the bias I think that is if there is any problem where the problem is. Might need to find a simple signal generator to run through it as I don’t have a looper pedal while I twist trimmers. I’ve done plenty of bbd builds. Never had bias issues this one seems harder with the combination of the two with trying to do it while playing.

I had a pile of LDRs labeled 20 Mohm dark, I got from Tayrda I think. (took a 5 year break from building) They worked fine. I even pulled them pretty far back from the bulb and got better results. I can't get it to thump on the low end like the Original.I have a Pangea from back then that is able to sound more like the real thing but you really have to twiddle the dials to get there. I'm still working on the settings on the Electovibe.. The LDRs I used and the original Sylvania 7371 bulb might be a thing...

Back