Elementary school clay ashtray builds

Diynot

Trying to slow my building down since I have pedals strewn across my guitar room floor and it’s getting hard to reach my amps and guitars, that said, here are some of the beginning of the end builds. First is a Spirit Box, my one and only belton brick project. Well worth the price of admission.
9C59B1C5-08AF-4516-94E1-63B069D16D40.jpeg 316934AF-2947-4F43-8247-04573B16F88B.jpeg
Tighty whitey. Nuff said. Next is what I am affectionately calling the Snuff film box, or maybe just the full on snuff. Dunno. Anyways, it’s an Aloysius and a Snuffy fuzz in the same box with an order switcher.
262A2617-4A5D-45CA-82D7-7AA6B245DC6D.jpeg 965394A8-2F7C-40E4-A173-921DF8AD5D26.jpeg
Some seriously gnarly fuzz in here. Is the Sum better than the parts? The jury is still out. There is some serious doom with both running, but there is also a tendency towards squeal and am radio depending on gain settings and which circuit is first. Am I glad I built them, sure. Am I at the point in building where fuzzes are all starting to sound the same, maybe. To be fair though, I built these for bass and have yet to play them as such. There’s always tm.

Well done sir, and yes...tip-toeing through the pedal fields is not as euphoric as it may sound.
Yeah, it’s not QUITE as bad as Legos, but when there is a real threat of tripping and putting your head through your grill cloth it’s time to reconsider that next build (or maybe I should invest in some shelving so I COULD build more!🧐)

It's funny I've had a vexter masto and a Woolly clone around for years and I've never hooked them up together... and I experiment a lot with dirt combos.

Reactions: fig
It's funny I've had a vexter masto and a Woolly clone around for years and I've never hooked them up together... and I experiment a lot with dirt combos.
I did have a chance to put the bass through these and am honestly not impressed by either (singly or together). The woolly doesn’t seem to like the active pickups in my Ray34 and even with the pickup loading, the mastotron gets a little farty. Def preferring this one on guitar. With both engaged you can get really Velcro, 8bit tones, as well as, feedback/sustain for days.

I only actually like the wooly and only like it with my p bass. I have a fretless 5 string with passive humbuckers and an active electric upright that both sound like absolute diarrhea with the wooly. I liked the masto just fine on rhodes though.

Sheeit, it's super hard to photograph. 4th instrument I made, long before I knew shit about anything. Walnut and maple neck, wenge top and back, tung oil finish, ebony fb. Schatten pickup and preamp dissected and internally installed. I welded a tom mount arm to a cymbal stand which is why there's a tom bracket on the back, been solid for 13 yrs. It's taken a few tumbles on stage here and there like a champ. It's crazy heavy and sounds enormous. Purists might turn their nose up at the long sustaining notes it provides. Definitely brings it out of being an "accurate upright sound" but that wasn't what I was after.

As a joke between a close a friend and myself I put my face up there on that chunk of aluminum freehanded with a dremel.
Screenshot_20220329-224154_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220329-224218_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220329-224248_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220329-224311_Gallery.jpg

[ New guitar to older one hanging on rack beside it ];
"May I ask what our brother on the floor did?"

View attachment 24631
#25 in my galleries here. http://www.pauleliassonguitars.com/galleries/

I call this body shape the Serena after my niece. It is a marriage between a telecaster and a PRS custom.

This was the first Serena I built some 9 years ago. The neck and fretboard are pink ivory. That wood is very, very friggin hard. A crack had formed on the back of the neck heel. I took it off to fill, and redowel the neck. I haven't taken the time yet to redrill the holes on the heel.

I was about to clamp it then got called by the wife. So i put it down on carpet and close to the wall. Then i saw Diynot's post.

• Love
Reactions: fig
Sheeit, it's super hard to photograph. 4th instrument I made, long before I knew shit about anything. Walnut and maple neck, wenge top and back, tung oil finish, ebony fb. Schatten pickup and preamp dissected and internally installed. I welded a tom mount arm to a cymbal stand which is why there's a tom bracket on the back, been solid for 13 yrs. It's taken a few tumbles on stage here and there like a champ. It's crazy heavy and sounds enormous. Purists might turn their nose up at the long sustaining notes it provides. Definitely brings it out of being an "accurate upright sound" but that wasn't what I was after.

As a joke between a close a friend and myself I put my face up there on that chunk of aluminum freehanded with a dremel.
View attachment 24643View attachment 24644View attachment 24645View attachment 24646
Very cool way of making the slot on this headstock! I am counting 22 for 22 VERY clean and accurate passes with a 3/8" drill bit?

Very cool way of making the slot on this headstock! I am counting 22 for 22 VERY clean and accurate passes with a 3/8" drill bit?
Ha, yep. I was just removing material intending to go all the way to a rectangular shape but the drilling was pretty straight and I liked the look so I just cleaned it up a bit and left it.

#25 in my galleries here. http://www.pauleliassonguitars.com/galleries/

I call this body shape the Serena after my niece. It is a marriage between a telecaster and a PRS custom.

This was the first Serena I built some 9 years ago. The neck and fretboard are pink ivory. That wood is very, very friggin hard. A crack had formed on the back of the neck heel. I took it off to fill, and redowel the neck. I haven't taken the time yet to redrill the holes on the heel.

I was about to clamp it then got called by the wife. So i put it down on carpet and close to the wall. Then i saw Diynot's post.

This one really draws my eye and I'm not usually into painted instruments. Some really nice stuff up in there, man!
Screenshot_20220330-133041_Chrome.jpg

Back